Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Back in town, and thanks to Maurice's smart instructions on narrowing down the cylinder #4 misfire problem, I fixed it (new ignition coil) for just $40. The engine is back to normal with the new coil. Nice!

While I was swapping coils to find the problem, I found the rear sway bar had snapped in two near the left side bend. I've now replaced it with a Tarett sway bar (may as well start replacing with BSR legal parts, because...). First question is the little donuts that come with the bar. I know where they go since the TRG bar had them, but what's the point, and how close to the bushing should they be? The only thing I can think of that they do is prevent side-to-side movement of the bar, but can that really even happen?

Pictures and one additional question...

1. Notice the black grease (or something) on the right rear inside wheel carrier. Is this something obvious? What is visible in the photo is all there is (it's not splattered all over the place).

2. Here's the broken TRG sway bar. This is a replacement for the original TRG bar that broke in the exact same location (left rear bend) a couple of years ago.

3. Here's the new Tarett sway bar and one of the donuts (right side) that I was wondering about. (Also shown in the broken bar picture.)

Thanks,
Trygve
Re: Misfire fixed! Couple of questions....
Rev Dennis - Sunday, 13 March, 2011, at 6:02:05 pm
I would let TRG know about their breaking sway bars! That is BAD! I would also recommend replacing all of the ignition coils.
Dennis, what is the rationale for replacing the 5 apparently good ignition coils? At a cost of $202-$245 for 5 (list price $336), someone will have to convince me. smiling smiley I bought the 1 replacement and 1 spare to have on hand. I mean, if another goes bad then that makes sense for sure, but just for one? I hope they are not N-rated. winking smiley
Generally...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 14 March, 2011, at 9:32:33 am
... it is recommended that when one coil goes, you replace them all as a set.
The rationale is that when one fails (because of age) eventually the rest will as well.
When they get old they don't deliver the same voltage/current to the spark as a new one.
So, if one fails and you replace just that one you now have 5 old (less voltage/current) coils and one new stronger coil which will mismatch the engine a bit.
It's not that it will hurt anything, but that's the rationale.
I always recommend the changing of all because I've seen that most often than not the second coil will fail within a month or two of the first one, so I think the case holds water.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sold!
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Monday, 14 March, 2011, at 5:00:20 pm
OK, thanks! That's enough to convince me, I defer to the experience of the pros.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login