Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
The 4.0 may be around for awhile..... smileys with beer

ICE Ain't Dead Yet

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Better open up your pocketbook, Guenter winking smiley

The END is Near... drinking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Time will tell if everything will be all electric. Still lots of hurdles to overcome. Range, environment with disposal of all those battery materials, and how will the power grid expand to meet the demand if all cars go electric.

I agree with Pedro - that hydrogen is the way to go.

In the meantime, I'm glad that Porsche has put the soul back into the Boxster and Cayman, so that if a true enthusiast is in the market for a new one, they can get the real thing.

For me, for now, I'm perfectly happy with my 981S. If I had to do it over again, I'd order it exactly the same way (If the options were available). As it is, on the road, I have to work hard enough to control my right foot to avoid losing my licence.
Seriously, even for folks who park their cars outside their house, how are they gonna charge them overnight? Just not practical unless you have a house with a garage to charge the car in. ICE engines will be around for a while. I just hope manuals will be too.
According to EVO, 6 Feb 2020:

Porsche has confirmed that our 2019 evo Car of the Year winner, the Porsche 718 Cayman GT4, and the 718 Spyder will be offered with the dual-clutch PDK gearbox by the end of 2020.

This is the first time Porsche’s mid-engined GT4 and Spyder models have been offered with an automatic transmission and it should widen their appeal beyond that of the standard six-speed manual.

The new Cayman GTS 4.0 and Boxster GTS 4.0 will also be offered with both transmission options. These cars share the same basic 4-litre engine with only a slight power-drop over the more focussed and expensive GT4 and Spyder models, but have a less focussed chassis setup and more subtle styling.

Porsche’s GT division has a history with offering PDK transmissions on its high-performance models, creating quite the controversy when it released the 991-generation 911 GT3 with a PDK transmission and not the traditional manual.

Porsche reverted to offering an optional manual transmission on the 991.2 update (after initially releasing a very limited number of 911 Rs) alongside the dual-clutch, a move it has now applied to its mid-engined models.

Prices of the GT4 and 718 Spyder PDK models have yet to be released, but expect a small rise over their £75,348 and £73,405 base prices, respectively.

When I saw the announcement I had the same thought (4U).
Happy Porsche'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login