Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Any opinions on Michelin Pilot Sports (PS-2)?
Tony in Whittier - Tuesday, 15 March, 2011, at 4:05:47 pm
Either N-spec. or non-spec. I may give these a try. I have been using Bridgestone SO-2s for many years. Are they worth the ~$200 premium on a set of 4?

The load ratings for the SO-2s and PS-2 are the same for their current N-spec. Greater load ratings for the non-rated, which indicates stiffer sidewalls.

Thanks.
Re: Any opinions on Michelin Pilot Sports (PS-2)?
DougW - Tuesday, 15 March, 2011, at 5:51:32 pm
I have been happy with mine, just replaced the fronts at 40,000 miles and have gone through 2 sets of rears in the same time
Good traction and cornering in wet and dry conditions
Really Good - Most of the Time
paulwdenton - Wednesday, 16 March, 2011, at 10:15:57 am
The PS-2s were OEM on my Cayman, which now has 9500 miles on it. I am getting really good wear out of both front and back. Even in back, the wear is almost undetectable. At this rate the back tires will be good for at least 30,000 miles. They stick like glue on the big high-speed sweeping turns, twisty roads, and highway ramps, that performance has been tested frequently. However, I find that they will break loose on sharp turns at intersections a lot easier than expected. There are two particular intersections I am thinking of where I almost always slide. One is near the Porsche dealer -- okay, maybe I am just subconsciously showing off when I leave there? However, the other one is a mile from my house and I go through it all the time with all my vehicles. It's a 90 degree turn with no stop sign and my lowly Scion tC handles it beautifully and I barely even take my foot off the gas -- quite fun actually. The Cayman always breaks loose there unless I really slow down. In fact it is almost embarrassing because I am usually bragging up the car to my passenger and then I come to that intersection and either I have to slow way down or there it goes sliding out again. On that particular turn, there is no doubt the Scion is faster. Maybe it's the tires, or maybe front-drive is just better for that particular turn.
MartinJF - Tuesday, 15 March, 2011, at 6:07:54 pm
PS2's are nice tires, not sure if they are worth the premium over the non N rated. They are being replaced by the Super Sport model in April so you might be able to pick some up at reduced price. The newer model has a higher wear rating, is stickier and might be lower priced.

You don’t say the year and model of your car nor what kind of driving you do (Track time? Autocross?, spirited drives in the twisties…, know that will help.

Have Fun in your Pcar - Martin
I do spirited mountain driving and on-ramp/off-ramp curve carving. No autocross or track use with this car. I have an '88 Carrera for that. It can better handle the abuse. smileys with beer

I tried the Boxster at autocross and driver training track events in the first few years of ownership. It was exceptional, but I cannot afford to push it off a cliff now (As one PPBB member & friend once advised me concerning track driving risk.).
for years (4 or 5?) the last time the Turbo needed tires Bridgestones were installed.

So far I'm pretty happy with the Bridgestones and am seriously considering switching the Boxster over.

The Michelin tires have been very good tires, but I dread their cost come time to renew the tires on the Boxster.

Also, before the Bridgestones the Turbo had (came with) Continental tires.They were very good tires too.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
They stick. They are round (not all that common!). They wear well.

I've used them on road and on track, and they hold up on track too.

That said, i bought Khumo track tires, Ecsta Sport SPTs. They are, for 1/2 the money, pretty darn good. Took a *little* playing by Euro Tire to get them seated perfectly, but once done - very nice.

I have never had good experiences with Bridgestones. bubbles. Out of round. etc.

Grant
Replaced Ribs with PS2 N rated
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Tuesday, 15 March, 2011, at 9:00:19 pm
and have about 1k miles on them. Nothing particular to complain about, I'd rather have the Ribs but they don't make em any more. Normal cruising. Though there is one thing, I think I threw the car at corners a bit differently when I had the Ribs because they were bought for $75...yep bought set of takeoffs already mounted and sold my rims and tires for only $75 less than I paid the dealer for the take-offs. Got 6 years and 16k miles before I feared age and replaced them. But because the PS2s cost 14 times as much, I think I'm driving a bit more slowly. A factor to consider when paying more is how you will react, not just how they will.
Michelin Pilot Sports (PS-2)-better price
tom coughlin - Wednesday, 16 March, 2011, at 9:38:38 am
I got some PS-2's at COSTCO for hundreds less than other places. Be sure to check their price-most tire stores will meet their price. I got the right part number from Michelin which Costco used to order. Great tires, but for non-top speed use, N rating not needed in MHO.
garyinseattle - Wednesday, 16 March, 2011, at 10:48:48 am
I replaced Bridgestones with PS-2 N rated about a year ago on my 05 base Boxster. Very noticeable improvement in handling, vibration and noise. I would buy again, even with the premium.
I like the PS2's a lot.
MarkinMD - Wednesday, 16 March, 2011, at 3:50:34 pm
I had Bridgestone S02a's on my Boxster and C4S and I always thought they were a decent all around tire, but the PS2s outshine them in every way. I think the PS2 is the best all around performance tire I have driven. They ride great, grip great and breakaway progressively. After nearly 14K miles on the set of 17's that was delivered on my Cayman, the rears still have a few thousand miles left on them. I highly recommend the PS2 and plan to keep using them in the future.

FYI, the next generation Michelin Pilot Sport high performance tire, the Super Sport is just now coming on the market.
i had a few sets of pilot sports (not 2's) on the '00 boxster S. while the non-N would last 20,000 km in back, the N-spec ones lasted just over 10,000 KM.
caveat: i did 95% VERY spirited mountain driving in the alps and jura with almost no city driving.
The N-specs appeared to my butt-meter to be a) noticeably stickier, and b) noticeably stiffer. YMMV.
i always ran about 10% higher pressure than porsche recommends.
i would very likely still be buying them if i were still in switzerland and still had the boxster.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Including PS2s non-N and PS2s N. All advertised with the same catch phrase. You have to get down to the SKU level to figure out what the characteristics of the tire are.
jlamb - Sunday, 20 March, 2011, at 9:07:36 pm
I've got them on my 08S. 15,000 miles and the rears are showing wear and may be getting close to replacement. I love the performance but I have noticed an increase in noise over that last couple thousands miles. I'm likely to replace in kind.
The S-02s were good, S-03 not as good.
Re: I'm still waiting for the reviews on the S-04 Pole Position
Laz - Tuesday, 22 March, 2011, at 6:36:18 pm
I wasn't aware of this tire's existence, but after studying the specs at Tire Rack's site, it may have more sidewall stiffness (a supposed N-spec attribute) as indicated by its higher Maximum Load Rating and that at least with the 205-50-17, it weighs more than the RE050A PP. I don't think the siping will be as effective for water evacuation as the 050, but Bridgestone's site emphasizes that it's silica rich, which seems to indicate better wet traction. Here's a tire composition article to support this last contention:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZFwp_jBu0QsC&pg=PA86&lpg=PA86&dq=wet+traction+silica&source=bl&ots=RmwHZo39XW&sig=MMLYa88FLSIrYs1RUGeGXytws2k&hl=en&ei=qh2JTdLDJtPqgQe47_jPDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=wet%20traction%20silica&f=false
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login