Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Lits "blink" when I hit a hard bump
rortgiesen - Wednesday, 16 March, 2011, at 8:43:22 pm
Hi Guys,

99 base Boxster with Litronic headlights. Bulbs were replaced about a year ago. When I hit a bump hard (whether a pot hole, or a speed bump) the lights will blink off, then come back on. It's almost like the connection is loose, but I'm not sure what I can tighten. I've popped them out and put them back in, they seem fine. Obviously something is not right. Maybe new struts/springs?!

Any thoughts on how to diagnose or repair?

Thanks!
Ray
125K miles
in the fenders.

These headlights are tricky to get in right. Sorry I can't give you the proper steps, walk you through the process: I'm no good at it -- have had one come loose (and the headlight on that side go dark) while driving on the freeway.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
but instead something more upstream, possibly a bad ground connection. I would start by checking the headlight switch for excess play.
Yes, it appears to be both together. I had the one eyed Boxtser a year ago, hence the bulb change last year, I'll see what I can do/learn about the switch. Thanks for the ideas. Marc, I have removed and reinserted the lamps and the entire assembly. I've never pulled apart the switch assembly, so there's something new...

Will let you know if any success results. Any others can feel free to toss out suggestions too smiling smiley

Ray

---
125K 99 Arctic Silver/Red Leather
Replaced the headlight switch on my 02S back in December....
jg wnc - Thursday, 17 March, 2011, at 8:38:08 am
My symptoms were that both of the lights would not fire up consistently. I had to jiggle the switch and flash the brights a bunch to get them to light up. Replaced the switch using Pedro's instructions and the were fixed perfectly. BTW, 60K miles on my car.
the it could very well be the headlight switch. Some owners have reported problems with this switch in the past, often enough it needs to be on the list of things to consider.

But better to make sure the headlights are installed correctly *before* replacing a headlight (or ignition) switch.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Well Marc, just for you, I'll yank it out, probably even reseat the bulbs. it's easy enough to test in the dark with these bumpy pot hole filled roads smiling smiley
Besides its simpler than working on the light switch!

Ray

---
125K 99 Arctic Silver/Red Leather
nevermind and look elsewhere for the source of the problem.

My car (and it was my fault) has had loose headlights once or twice. OTOH, I've never replaced a headlight switch.

Sicnerely,

MarcW.
You can use them to check the connections as well. I used this when I changed a bulb recently.

Skyler's Litronics Installation Instructions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login