Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Battery is about to say good bye
boxster99 - Friday, 18 March, 2011, at 9:27:51 pm
I took the car out today for the first time after long winter. It started up fine and I had a long drive for about 60 miles hot smiley
My smiles are back and all the stress I had before it are gone...after a long winter (Boston) I needed it cool smiley

The car looks great, just like the first day I bought it in 2001 used!! (it has 11K then and it has 32K now) I know.. I know....Drive the car more..

Anyway, when I got home I pressed the voltage monitor that permanently hook up to the battery and it showed "fair" instead of "good" condition when the engine was off.
When the engine was on.. It showed "excellent" charge.. The car does have a battery maintainer for all these years, BTW.

I think my battery is saying good-bye after a long long partnership with the car.. And I hate to see it goes winking smiley

I am looking at AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 48H6, 600 CCA ($125 after discount from advance auto part) for the replacement. Is it a direct fit? Good price?
Any other suggestion? Please?

Thanks,

Tony
A good alternative to OEM is ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 18 March, 2011, at 10:40:54 pm
... Bosch batteries.
They have several that fit the Boxster and the 996/997s.
The box is exactly the same as the Moll OEM battery, so there is no issue with fit or battery cable length.
I've got a Bosch 48-690B in mine. Been in there for several years with no issues.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Battery is about to say good bye
Rob in CO - Friday, 18 March, 2011, at 11:40:43 pm
I have had an Interstate since the dealer installed it in June, 2003. I think it is probably near the end but have had no complaints and the trickle charger keeps it going OK. I will buy another when the time comes.
years, which is par for my course. At 1/2 - 2/3 the cost of a Moll from the dealer, i would always go aftermarket. DieHards are good too (again).

note that most batteries are OEM'd from others, so quality changes over the years.

Grant
A list of batteries known to work/fit
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Saturday, 19 March, 2011, at 10:38:01 am
https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/batteries

Porsche doesn't make em in the first place.
Mike, any update for the 987?

I'm looking for a "plug & play" replacement - just drop it in and hook it up! drinking smiley

TIA,

Ed

Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
ugleeual - Sunday, 20 March, 2011, at 3:27:29 pm
I purchased a replacement Interstate Battery from Virginia Tire and Auto for half the price of the OEM from dealership... came with a 5 or 7 year warranty... just removed other and dropped in new... had the vent plug just like original.
Only post I found was about a MTP-H7
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Sunday, 20 March, 2011, at 4:18:36 pm
and was for a 2006 Boxster S (987).

You ask for a vent tube adapter with with it.

24 month free replacement, 85 month warranty, 640 CCA.

Said to be the Interstate version of the Group 94R batteries.
jlamb - Sunday, 20 March, 2011, at 8:50:09 pm
This winter I hooked up my battery maintainer to the cigarette lighter, just like every year, only this year I never turned it on!! Soooo after a long winter I go to start it last week and nothing, stone dead. I had to jump the car from the fuse panel to open the hoop, jumped the car and ran it for a few hours on the highway, parked it over night with the charger on it but to no avail. Next day ran down the street to National Tire and Battery and picked up an identical battery, dropped it in in 15 minutes, "plug and Play", reset the window memory and off I went.
Dale_K - Monday, 21 March, 2011, at 8:46:12 am
The previous owner put a Walmart battery in my 2000 S and it seems to work perfectly.
checked the levels and like the Japanese reactors the core was exposed. cranked her up and went to rennsport and left with a new Interstate maint free. the old one was 9 years old so it did not owe me anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login