Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Tire recommendation for 2000S with 18" wheels
lacleven - Thursday, 24 March, 2011, at 11:22:43 pm
Hi everyone,

I have a 2000S with 18" wheels and it is time for me to buy four new tires. Recommendations please? I do not track the car. I live the mid-Hudson region of New York and I drive back roads and parkways mostly. I was planning on using Tirerack.com unless someone has a better suggestion.

Thanks, Larry
Until I learned that the $70 rebate program from the mfr. (Bridgestone) expired on 3/19 and that there is a 4 to 5 week back log on Michelin PS-2s. Plus, that mfr. rebate expires on 4/1 (Even if ordered now). sad smiley Without the rebate, Tire Rack's prices are very close to local tire shops. Why wait for T.R. delivery and then have to bring the tires in (or delivered at the shop) for installation?

I am going to check out other local sources for more competitive prices (America's Tire, Big O, Sam's Club and Costco). Let me know if you find a good alternate to Tire Rack.
A local branch of NTB gave me an outrageously high quote for a set of Michelins, so high that I blurted out something like "Tire Rack has them for $xxx!!". The guy said "Hold" and he would see what he could do. He came back on the phone a few minutes later and beat their price mounted and balanced. Woa. I don't know what is going on, but the moral of the story is ask and be blunt.
Consider these...GY F1 Asym
MikenOH - Friday, 25 March, 2011, at 5:11:57 pm
[www.tirerack.com]

Have had these on a 987 for 3 years; very similar to the PS2. TR currently has $80 rebate on these.
... you may get a local discount to match Tire Racks prices, and generally you get what you pay for.
In my case I have an excellent tire mounting and balancing shop that knows their stuff and has never scratched a wheel.
To me that is more important than a not having to wait a day or two for tires to be shipped to them by Tire Rack.
Also, unless you have an unexpected blowout you should be able to wait a couple of days for tires to be delivered to your shop.
Finally, using TireRack though this board helps us to keep it running at no cost to you (that should have some value).
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Tire recommendation for 2000S with 18" wheels
Petee_C - Friday, 25 March, 2011, at 12:51:38 pm
I have an '01S w 18" rims. I got the Hankook Ventus V12's No issues. Very economical. Probably even cheaper in the USA.

... well actually, there is a bit of road noise, but not sure if it's the wind or tire noise.... I have problems figuring out which it is, but it only happens at about 210kph. (just kidding)

No issues at all.

P
lacleven - Friday, 25 March, 2011, at 1:40:09 pm
Hi everyone,

how about WHICH tires to buy? I am looking for some recommendations. Thanks!

Larry
Bridgestone tires. The 1s two brands on my Boxster and the 2nd two on my Turbo. Oh, the Boxster has 17" wheels, the Turbo 18" wheels. (Both cars have the stock/factory wheels fitted too and stock suspension with the factory street alignment.)

I have no experience with any non N-rated tires on my Porsches and so far I have not felt compelled to develop any experience with non N-rated tires.

Anyhow, of the 4 brands I named Pirelli would be my last choice. They get noisy when they get old/worn. But they're not a bad tire. (At least this was my experience with the tire around 6 or so years ago. I haven't run Pirelli tires since maybe 2004/2005 timeframe.)

Michelin is good, very good, but pricey. However, oftentimes the dealer gives me a decent discount and the Michelin tires are then competive with other brands. I've got a set of Michelin tires on the Boxster now.

The Turbo came with Continental tires and I was quite happy with their performance. In fact I could go back to the Conti tires when the Bridgestone tires need replacing but the Bridgestone tires are proving to be a good tire too.

N-rated tires receive some scorn from some Porsche owners but my understanding is N-rated tires are produced in just one factory.

That is each company offering N-rated tires has just one factory that is certified to produce N-rated tires to ensure the best and consistent quality control.

If one buys a non N-rated tire the tire can have been made anywhere. In fact, it might even be possible each tire was made in a different factory maybe even in a different country.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Dave In MD - Friday, 25 March, 2011, at 7:39:03 pm
You didn't say if you wanted summer or all season.

The tires I just took off came from Tire Rack - Sumitomo HTR Z III. I got good life from them and IMHO Sumitomo is a great tire for the money. The ones I just put on the car are also summer and were wheel and tire take offs from a Cayman. Bridgestone RE 050A. The ride and handle well but too early to tell how they will wear.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
lacleven - Friday, 25 March, 2011, at 8:42:56 pm
summer only.... the car is on the road only 6 months a year... in the garage the rest of year
986geezer - Saturday, 26 March, 2011, at 10:49:20 am
I have Bridgestone Pole Positions on my 17" wheels and love them.

Where are you in the Hudson Valley and are you a member of the HVRegionPCA?

AKL
lacleven - Saturday, 26 March, 2011, at 11:40:08 pm
@AKL, I live in dutchess county, and I am a member of HVPCA, but have not gotten involved in any activities yet. Any recommendations on how/when to start to participate? My weekends are booked through April by skiing, but free starting in May.

@everyone, else.. thanks for the tire feedback, now time for me to narrow the choice down and purchase.

Thanks, Larry
986geezer - Sunday, 27 March, 2011, at 9:23:50 am
Larry, we have a busy schedule this year so it is a good time to get involved. DE at LimeRock Park on the 7th of April, Overnight trip to Saratoga Springs and visit the car museum on the 9th, Club Race hospitality tent at Lime Rock on the 30th. Spring Breakout BBQ at Advanced Auto in New Windsor on the 21st of May. Visit the HVRPCAconnection [autos.groups.yahoo.com] and join up. Also the Club website at: [hv.pca.org] Once you connect in you can send me a personal email to my home Yahoo site and we can keep you informed. Come on out and have some fun.

Allen K. Littlefield Activities Chair HVR
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login