Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hi all,
My son and I are looking into a father-son road trip to the Blue Ridge region from Michigan. Life is short and we want to make some memories. I will be driving my Boxster RS60 and he will be driving his Mustang GT350 Shelby (I know what your thinking, but it's actually a very capable car, even in the twisties). The only BRBS routes I see in the forum are from 2019 but I know the group drove a lot in the Little Switzerland area in the past also. Our initial idea is to hightail it from Mich to Knoxville, then hit the Tail of the Dragon, but I know the area has much more to offer. We will have 2 to 3 days of road fun available.

I would appreciate your advice on "fun run" road routes and even lodging recommendations. We are wondering if a home base lodging is best, or move every night as we travel.
Thanks!

Current Love: 2008 RS60; 1st Love: 2001 base, triple black
Thanks, Carlos.
There are a couple new routes here that I hadn't found via google yet. Do you have any experience actually driving these? Just wondering about real world experience with the roads and venues.

Thanks again.

Yes, Tail of the dragon is good but I like 226A better... less traffic, sharper hills, twists and turns (so your son's "Ford" might struggle a bitspinning smiley sticking its tongue out). Also Cherohala is nice too with nice views.
I live in Waynesville, NC and there are literally tons of fabulous roads in Western NC. Besides the TOD, in our area I highly recommend:
- US 276 between Waynesville and Brevard
- NC 215 between Bethel and Rosman
- NC 209 between Waynesville and Hot Springs (aka The Rattler or The Gambler)
- Charley’s Creek Road
- Wayah Road
- NC 80 between BRP and Old Fort (aka Devils Whip)
- You should run some of the Blue Ridge Parkway
- As mentioned earlier NC 28 (aka The Moonshiner) is a great road
- Pretty much any NC state highway in the mountains will be a fun road

Hope that helps. I am happy to provide further guidance, particularly about the Blue Ridge Parkway - I am a volunteer for the National Park Service and work at the Parkway Visitors Center.
Thanks for the tips. Lot's of choices to make.

All good suggestions above. There are sooo many great driving roads. I can also recommend 221 from the BRP to Blowing Rock, which is a nice place to stop for lunch as well.

Gary

2003 Boxster Base - Midnight Blue Metallic, Savanna Beige, Metropol Blue
Thanks, Gary. I like the one too. I'm starting to realize it will be hard to hit it all.

The BRP seems to vary in road condition quality just from a few "street view" checks. Are there any sections to avoid?

Also, what lodging spots would you recommend between Little Switzerland and, say Robbinsville?

We’ve only ever stayed in Little Switzerland so I can’t really recommend anyplace specific. Of course, Asheville will have the most options. And, I’m a big AirBnB fan. We like to bring or shop for our own food, and get places with a kitchenette. Stick with “Super Hosts” on your search criteria.

As far as BRP closures, which can be an issue anytime of year, frequently check road conditions here [www.blueridgeparkway.org]

We live in Boston, and have made several trips down to experience the great driving roads, scenery and activities. Sounds like a great trip with your son. Enjoy!

Gary

For lodging between Switzerland Inn and TOD, you can look at Asheville, though it is not that far west. Waynesville/Maggie Valley has a few places - Clarion Hotel in Maggie Valley has just been remodeled. There is a Holiday Inn Express in Dillsboro. You might also look at Harrah’s in Cherokee during the week (very expensive on the weekends). Tapoco Lodge in Robbinsville is also a good place.

As far as the Parkway goes - you did not say when you were going to do your trip. During the winter they often close sections at the higher elevations due to ice in the tunnels. Last week I drove the Parkway 60 miles from Asheville Visitors Center to Balsam Gap at US 23/74 and the road was in great shape. This week most of that section of the Parkway is closed along with a long stretch north of Asheville to Linville Falls. Regardless of when you plan to travel on the Parkway you should always check the web site for closures - it changes daily even in the summer as storms can knock down trees to cause sections to be closed.
Thanks everyone. We've got lodging secured and a bunch of possible routes identified. Staying near Lake Santeetlah and driving as far west as Waynesville. Thanks JG for your local knowledge, we picked many of your suggestions. Probably won't make it as far east as Little Switzerland, but there seems to be plenty of fun opportunities. We are allowing 3 days in the mountains plus 4 days down and back - plenty of windshield time ahead.

Trip Update - Success!
Thanks to everyone for the good advice on routes. We didn't hit them all but did a lot of driving and made great memories. A really good father/son experience.

We took off from Michigan in separate cars so we could each have our own driving fun. Unfortunately, just as we were leaving Knoxville and headed to the foothills, my son's Mustang GT 350 broke a transmission and was locked in 5th gear. He managed to limp it to a Ford dealer - 2-3 weeks for new tranny. So, we continued on in my Boxster. (side note - most all his gear fit in my trunks, a estimate to the road trip worthiness of the Boxster) My son's attitude was great, he said " I get to drive these roads in a Boxster, then come back in a few weeks and do it again in my Mustang!"

We did the Tail of the Dragon several times, the Cherohala Skyway, Smokey Mnt. Loop, Foothills Parkway - All highly recommended. Logged 1,970 miles total trip. Thanks again for the trip advice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2023 10:55AM by nmanitou (Doug in MI). (view changes)
Hmm, my photo links didn't work as planned - little help?

Nevermind, fixed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2023 10:55AM by nmanitou (Doug in MI). (view changes)
Looks like a great trip! Too bad about your son's tranny, but glad you were able to make the best of it. Yes, the Boxster's two trunks can really swallow up a lot with careful packing.

Gary

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login