Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
The outgoing tires were Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45ZR-17 and they went 31,646 miles in 8 years & 4 months.

The incoming tires are Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 size 205/50ZR-17.

I am impressed at how long the outgoing tires lasted. Does anyone here have any long-term experience with the Continentals? They got good ratings and they seem very competent so far (though I haven't pushed it yet).

And of course, I used the affiliate link in the PedrosBoard banner ad in order to support the board at no cost to me.
I selected the DWS's following several years on Michelin Pilots.

Although I have not tracked mileage or anything, it has been some time. I like the feel of the tires - still. The wear so far seems to be as expected but I probably do not have the kind of use that would best gauge that metric.

I have recommended them to others and to the extent I received response, it was favorable. Then again, I suspect it would be.

To be clear - I use mine as a daily driver 3.5 seasons a year. Basically, I try to avoid snow and heavily salted roads. I believe I get better cold weather traction than I did on the Pilots and WAY more than I did on the Pirellis I had prior to that. I have driven without issue on snow covered roads - as in an inch or so max. Never wanted to risk more snowy driving with fat (snowshoe like) tires on the rear when I have 4 wheel drive vehicles in the driveway. I might be overly cautious, with these tires, but I was warned by the Pirellis.
I have never gotten near that mileage on the fronts of my '00 S, regardless of manufacturer. I am lucky to get 18,000 miles. The rears are half of that.
but the Super Sport tires are actually guaranteed for 30k miles, believe it or not.
FYI, from the Michelin warranty: "Note that if you use different size tires on the front and rear axles, your tires cannot be rotated as recommended by Michelin. As a result, the mileage warranty on each rear tire will be half that specified."
I've had the Extreme Contact Sport 1 on since May 2017 and have about 18K on them.
Right now they are at 7/32 in front--5/32 on rear.
They worn evenly and are still decent in the wet.
When new, they were the bomb--quiet, amazing in the wet, great dry traction and supple ride.
Only down side noted was a slight decline in steering response which I didn't think was a deal breaker.
Compare to the P Zeros they replaced, this is a far better tire.
Since I'm driving the car less the past 3-4 years, I'm thinking Mich.A/S4 as replacements since I'd like to drive earlier and later in the year.
I know I'd lose a bit of the performance but have them on another car and like them a lot.
BTW, the latest TR test of this tire put the Sport 2 ahead of the PS4.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2023 05:18PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Interesting
Boxsterra - 6 months ago
I saw the tire tests where the Sport 2 did extremely well compared to the competition and the average ratings are top notch. It's good to hear it's not just my imagination.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login