Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I am hoping to see a DIY on the Convertible Top mechanism or to hear some advice from others. MY Boxster S, MY2000, has a top problem. The motor chugs slowly, making a grinding noise, and the top stops about 15 inches from closed--and won't move further. Luckily, I was able to go back the other way and open the top fully, but I'm reluctant to begin to close it again, except, perhaps, just to raise it half-way as suggested in the repair notes of the Bentley Porsche Manual.

Does anyone have a good guess as to what's wrong? I'm handy with cars, and have rebuilt engines and transmissions, so I'm not intimidated by any of this, but if it's tedious and potentially "hazardous" to my top or body panels, or I'm likely to throw a few fits figuring highly technical things out, I'll just take it to the dealer.

Thank all--any help appreciated.

PS Is it likely Porsche will still have parts for a 24 year-old vehicle?
... it's a broken gear in one or both of the transmissions.
It's not overly difficult, but it's quite involved to remove, repair, reinstall and synchronize both transmissions.
Take it to a knowledgeable tech.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login