Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
... or you'll get a depreciation hit!
For whatever reason there's the 100K point.

Enjoy it. Never sell it. Drive it till it won't drive no more!
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
There's a pond behind my house. When I go, I want to be put in the car on a flaming raft, sort of Viking style.

Kind of related. We had a very good friend pass away earlier this year. He had bought his dream car, a 718 Spyder 2 years ago. After he passed away, his brother had an urn made, in the shape of his Spyder, for his ashes.
[www.poetryfoundation.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2023 11:11AM by Laz. (view changes)
My condolences, G.

Gary

2003 Boxster Base - Midnight Blue Metallic, Savanna Beige, Metropol Blue
wondering, Pedro, what kinds of preventive maintenance/replacements/repairs we need to be planning for & when between now & 200,000 miles. For example, cam chain tensioners/shoes, etc. As of now, I know I will replace & upgrade the first generation LN Engineering IMS @ 140,000 w/an oil-fed one. What has been your experience w/your Boxster?

Wolfi is a MY 97 base 986.

JB/SE SoDak
1997 986 - Wolfi
Yankton, SD

"Wisdom is the most perfect knowledge of the most important truths in the right order of emphasis, accompanied by a total, permanent disposition to live accordingly.

-- Br. Francis Maluf, M.I.C.M.

"(School is to be a factory) in which raw products, children, are to be shaped and formed into finished products . . .(m)anufactured like nails, and the specifications for manufacturing will come from government and industry."

-- Elwood P. Cubberley, Dean of School of Education, Stanford University, 1905

"The creatures that want to live a life of their own, we call wild. If wild, then no matter how harmless, we treat them as outlaws, and those of us who are 'specially well brought up shoot them for fun."

-- Clarence Day, This Simian World
... many years ago I decided that I would maintain my car according to the Porsche Service Schedule and to replace any part that fails.
It has served me well and save me a bunch of money.
I have not done any preventive replacements, such as AOS, water pump, etc.except for the Direct Oil Feed IMS fix way back at 103,000K.
Oil/Oil Filter changed every 5,000 miles and brake fluid once or twice per year, depending on track time.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Which direct oil feed IMS fix do you use? LN Engineering's system or your own Technofix DOF plus your Technofix DOF IMS bearing kit? Also, can I simply install your Technofix DOF over my already converted LN Engineering IMS bearing kit or do you recommend installing your bearings instead?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2023 10:29AM by John Brown of SE SoDak. (view changes)
Why would I use my competitor's product in my car?
The whole thing about the LNE hybrid ceramic "solution" is that it is not a permanent fix. They recommend you replace the bearing at regular intervals.
We developed the DOF because of that issue specifically. We had to offer a permanent repair.
The TechnoFix (Direct Oil Feed) uses a steel bearing that's constantly lubricated and requires no replacement. It is a true solution (permanent).
The DOF cannot be used with a hybrid bearing, it needs to be used with the DOF IMS Bearing Kit which is an OEM bearing that had been custom-prepared for use with the DOF System.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

When it's time for me to replace the LN Engineering open IMS bearing, I am definitely buying your complete system of Technofix DOF and IMS Bearing Kit. Another question, there is conflicting information on the LN Engineering site about how long their bearing lasts before it should be replaced. What mileage interval do you recommend before upgrading Wolfi to your complete system?

To clarify, I thought perhaps you changed your own IMS bearing before you had developed your own system & that is why I asked you which bearing you were using.

Thanks again & I am looking forward to doing business w/you again soon!
Depends on your point of view.

You're obviously enjoying your 981. If anything, I'd say it's gaining in value. That's the way I feel about mine.

Not that I need to say it .... enjoy.smileys with beer
(When asked what a cynic is.)

"A man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing.""

I meant exclusively monetary value.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login