Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Coolant warning
Sayle - 1 week ago
When I would start my 2012 base Boxster I would get a red warning “check coolant level” message. The message would go away in about 3 or 4 minutes when the car warmed up. I checked with the local mechanic I use and he said just add some water to the system. When I added about a cup of water to the car before starting it up for the first time each day I would not get the warning message. I could go several days between needing to add water. It seemed to me tha when my coolant level problem first started showing up it must be on just the edge of what was required and when the car warmed up the coolant expanded enough to remove the warning message. Today I had the oil changed and I had the mechanic check the coolant system and he said I needed a new water pump and it would cost $1500 to replace it. Anyone else had a problem like mine?
loss of fluid, but over the life of my 986, I have replaced the water pump three times when coolant began to seep around the pump seal. My car is a MY 97 w/228,500 miles on its clock. With my car's version of the water pump, there's also a potential issue one can read about online dealing w/the pump's plastic impeller. Over time, I guess due to heat cycling mainly, the plastic impeller blades are said to get brittle w/age & it's reported blades or pieces of blades break off & are pumped through the coolant system. I honestly don't know about the veracity of this potential blade issue, but I do believe replacing the water pump when a seep is first detected is a good idea. In doing so, the impeller issue also gets remedied. Also, there are water pumps advertised using metal bladed impellers & opinions vary about switching to these non-OEM style pumps.

From what you've reported, it may be your water pump's inevitable seep has progressed to an outright slow leak, & if this is the case, your mechanic's recommendation to replace the pump seems prudent.

Here's a Youtube video of a young lad replacing his own water pump to show you what your mechanic will be doing labor-wise.

[www.youtube.com]

Here's a link to Pelican Parts cost for a new OEM water pump for your car.

[www.pelicanparts.com]

Finally, consider replacing your thermostat while you're doing this & also, since your coolant will be drained, do a flush of the coolant system & replace your coolant w/new while you're @ it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2024 10:17AM by John Brown of SE SoDak. (view changes)
JB/SE SoDak
1997 986 - Wolfi
Yankton, SD

"Wisdom is the most perfect knowledge of the most important truths in the right order of emphasis, accompanied by a total, permanent disposition to live accordingly.

-- Br. Francis Maluf, M.I.C.M.

"(School is to be a factory) in which raw products, children, are to be shaped and formed into finished products . . .(m)anufactured like nails, and the specifications for manufacturing will come from government and industry."

-- Elwood P. Cubberley, Dean of School of Education, Stanford University, 1905

"The creatures that want to live a life of their own, we call wild. If wild, then no matter how harmless, we treat them as outlaws, and those of us who are 'specially well brought up shoot them for fun."

-- Clarence Day, This Simian World
Yes it happened to me on my 987.
It's called weeping. Usually the gasket starts to fail and allows some coolant to "weep" due to expansion and contraction.
I never noticed any spots on the floor. At that time I already had over 75,000 miles so I did the pump, thermostat an coolant.
And no I did not put in a "Porsche" pump but a good OEM german pump.
Don't believe it is the pump's gasket that seeps, or weeps, if you will. It is rather the seal that surrounds the pump's shaft, mounting the shaft into the pump body. On this shaft are the pully, the seal, & inside the pump's body, the impeller. The shaft & all attached are turned by the cogged serpentine belt. Back in the day, these seals were either ceramic or neoprene - not sure about our pump's seal. They are not serviceable.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2024 12:28PM by John Brown of SE SoDak. (view changes)
Well, at the dealer’s recommendation and suggestions made here, I had the water pump replaced. While my car was in the shop I got a call saying the expansion tank needed to be replaced. I had that done also. Two days later I picked up my car and three blocks after driving away I got the “check coolant” message! I returned to the shop and I was told they would check it out. Today the shop called and they said they thought it was a leak in the manifold and fixing that was a major repair. I don’t know the coolant system well enough to know if this could cause a “check coolant” warning or not but when I asked the dealer if driving the car with a manifold leak was serious he replied that it could destroy the engine. I don’t know if that is true or not so I thought I would throw it out here and see what you folks had to say. Thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login