Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
For Formula One Fans
Rev Dennis - Friday, 1 April, 2011, at 5:03:16 pm
Here is a link to a youtube posting about safety in the 60's. The other 3 parts are listed on this page. I found this facinating and thought some people here might appreciate it.

F1 in the 60's
--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
I was a student at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, and attended the 1961 US Grand Prix. I also was able to attend practice sessions in the days before the race. In the practice session days, we were allowed to walk in the pits unrestricted. Nothing like that is available today. I was smart enough at the time to be careful where I stood to watch the race. People who find this interesting should rent the DVD "Grand Prix" to watch the extra features on the two disc set which includes a nice documentary on the GP race scene in the 1960's. I no longer keep up with F1.
fascinating
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Saturday, 2 April, 2011, at 2:12:06 am
Thanks for finding that, Dennis. Must watch for F1 fans.

A few years ago one of my racing buddies, who is an F1 historian compared to me, loaned me this great book by Sid Watkins, the now former F1 chief medical officer. It's a great read and in some ways picks up from where this video leaves off with regard to how tremendous advances in racing safety were instituted after all these tragedies.

Life at the Limit by Sid Watkins
Re: For Formula One Fans
Motobob - Saturday, 2 April, 2011, at 9:02:45 am
I just watched Part 1 - excellent documentary and with such great insights articulated by the past drivers; will watch part II and III when I get back from Starbucks in the Porsche! Thanks for sharing! Bob - VA
Re: For Formula One Fans
Motobob - Saturday, 2 April, 2011, at 12:53:58 pm
Motobob
I just watched Part 1 - excellent documentary and with such great insights articulated by the past drivers; will watch part II and III when I get back from Starbucks in the Porsche! Thanks for sharing! Bob - VA

Just finished all fice parts; great history (sad) lesson.... Bob
Re:Thanks for shsowing this
bgale (Montrose,CO) - Saturday, 2 April, 2011, at 4:09:11 pm
I watched all 4 parts and it was moving. I never drove any F1 cars but having raced sports cars in the late 50's & early 60's, I can strongly relate to the lack of safety regulations and the dangers involved.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login