Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Anybody running all-seasons on their 986?.....
por911(bc) - Friday, 8 April, 2011, at 8:39:42 pm
Since the temps year round in the PNW are mildly cooler, I thought of going to all seasons this time round. There is so much of the year where the PS2's are as hard as marbles here. I was looking at the new Conti DMS A/S and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Does anybody here have experience with either of these. I had put a set of the Michelins on my unk's old A4 and thought well of them, but on the 986 is a different beast entirely. Thank you for any input or comments.
regards
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2011 01:45PM by Laz. (view changes)
Well, pulled the trigger......
por911(bc) - Saturday, 9 April, 2011, at 1:52:59 pm
Thanks though. Ordered a set of Conti Extreme Contact DWS All Seasons, so , we'll see how it goes. They are about $200 less then the Michelins and get better feedback. I'll post a review after we get some miles on them.
regards
Not that they're necessarily mutually exclusive.
I suspect these tires will be fine for us. The car is not driven agressively, or much on an annual basis(1-2k or less a year). It would be nice to drive in temps under 50 or 60 degrees and have the tires not be as hard as marbles. In the PNW, it is like that a lot. The PS2's with age and miles on them are getting very loud and are tending to flat spot at a greater rate of frequency. Here, it takes a while for them to warm up.
regards
Gunning the car in a low gear in a turn can do it. I respect the mass in the back, though, and used to pivot off the front of my 66 912 at will. (Will got out of the way, fortunately!)
I run the micelins all year round.
JM-Stamford,CT - Saturday, 9 April, 2011, at 3:10:59 pm
It has been a good choice.
Re: Anybody running all-seasons on their 986?.....
9eighty6 - Saturday, 9 April, 2011, at 3:35:53 pm
I drove my car in Buffalo year-round for 3 years before moving to FL. I had to get a hard top and another set of wheels with winter tires. I used Continental snows at first and then switched to Dunlops when I needed a new set.

Similarily, I used Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3s in the summer and now they're not making THEM anymore either so I opted for Dunlops on the front.

Not sure if this I'd helpful; just my expreriences. Oh, and I found driving the 986 in the snow to be a blast! It was well balanced, heated up quickly, has heated seats and I never got stuck/stranded ONCE!
Why not buy both and enjoy max performance and safety all year long? The only incremental cost will be the extra rims but given the age of our cars, you can get refurbed wheels at a rather low cost. I did for my Porsche. Actually I saved a ton on refurbed rims for my wife's Lexus as new Lexus rims were beyond stupidly expensive.
a response......
por911(bc) - Sunday, 10 April, 2011, at 2:57:04 pm
Thought about it, but the way the car gets driven(spring and fall), it is the lower temps that have been a concern. It gets very low miles annually due to it being a pleasure vehicle and others get poor weather duty. If it was a main driver, then yes, I would have just got another set of rims as there are loads around. Wear is not an issue either as we've gotten almost 30k out of our current set of PS2's(yes, car not driven hard). I doubt, for the way our car is driven there will be much, if any, sacrifice of performance.
regards
Re: Anybody running all-seasons on their 986?.....
jeff in VA - Monday, 11 April, 2011, at 7:21:08 pm
I run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my '02 S, which is my daily driver, and I think they are great. I had summer tires on it when I first got the car, and those tires were a bit sketchy down around 40 degrees and lower. I live in the DC area, and 40 degrees or lower happens a lot during the year. So, I'm more comfortable with the A/S.

I once tried the Kuhmo A/S tires to try to save some money and ended up spinning in the rain one day. Not worth the risk, IMHO. Went right back to the Michelins.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login