Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
CEL - again --
JM-Stamford,CT - Tuesday, 12 April, 2011, at 9:44:07 am
I haven't yet hooked up the code reader.

But I likely don't have to. This is the quarterly 1128, 1130.

I will clean the MAF and hopefully get another 3 months out of it.
The interval between cleanings does seem to be getting shorter though.

Frankly, I haven't been paying much attention lately to MAF discussion. What is the new consensus on upgrading to the 125 era MAF vs replacing with the earlier model?

I know the 125 upgrade requires a dealer visit. OUCH.
Re: CEL - again --
Alcantera - Tuesday, 12 April, 2011, at 12:32:58 pm
Jim ,I don't know if you read my post from a few months ago. I had that CEL for 2 years and finally fixed it this spring . one piece of my air cleaner assembly was missing . I guess somehow the outer frame had gone in the garbage . make sure you have all three parts. I would also look inside the air box for leaves on the screen and there is a water drain in the bottom which could be missing. , check for vac leaks and don't forget to look for air entering unfiltered. confused smiley
a comment....
por911(bc) - Tuesday, 12 April, 2011, at 1:26:55 pm
You might check the fuel injector o-ring seals for leaks. They can cause a whole host of gremlin CEL's that are tough to trace down. I replaced both the upper and lower on our 01 base at 42k, and could immediately tell the difference. It is probably worth looking at the fuel filter(change every 30k) and AOS(change every 60k). You can always ohm out the MAF to see if it is in spec.
regards
Especially the longer the car is not running, and if the fuel tank is, say, less than half full... or half empty, depending on your outlook.
JMstamford,ct
I haven't yet hooked up the code reader.

But I likely don't have to. This is the quarterly 1128, 1130.

I will clean the MAF and hopefully get another 3 months out of it.
The interval between cleanings does seem to be getting shorter though.

Frankly, I haven't been paying much attention lately to MAF discussion. What is the new consensus on upgrading to the 125 era MAF vs replacing with the earlier model?

I know the 125 upgrade requires a dealer visit. OUCH.

to be the MAF. If it were the MAF I think it would have gotten worse by now, enough so that you'd know for sure.

There have been two times my Boxster emitted P1128/P1130 DTCs. Once when the oil filler tube cap was leaking. Another time was on a cross country jaunt and the AOS ultimately gave up at the end of a nearly 2K mile drive (over several days).

If you haven't checked the oil filler tube cap for leaks do so.

Have the engine running at idle, warmed up, open the rear trunk and give a listen. Grasp the cap and see if you can move it about, wiggle it, and listen for any sounds of an air leak and the engine's reaction. Unscrew the cap, and remove it. The engine will react but it should adapt and recover and run reasonably well.

Then put the cap back and secure it. The engine should react and after a moment adapt and recover. Again check the cap for any play and listen for any air leak or engine reaction. The air leak at idle is 'large'. At anything above idle the air leak is real small. In fact, I've left the oil cap off the tube once (ok ok twice) and with the trunk lid closed the engine ran well enough I didn't suspect anything. It was an odd howling noise that clued me in and was my face red when I opened the trunk and spotted the oil filler tube cap in the trunk.

There can be other causes for those DTCs. Fuel supply, fuel pressure regulator or an exhaust leak ahead of the sensors. But the fact the DTCs appear so seldom probably means that even if you check the fuel supply, pressure, you'll find all ok.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Re: CEL - again --
CarreraLicious - Tuesday, 12 April, 2011, at 2:58:43 pm
John, I'm pretty sure your model year does not require a trip to dealer to upgrade to the 125 MAF. You can just drop it in. If you want, you can have my old 125 MAF. I replaced it with a new one at 60k miles just for the heck of it, and think my old one is still good. Let me know.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login