Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
What does this oil leak say?
DFW02S - Sunday, 17 April, 2011, at 2:38:42 pm
It's a very light almost clear oil, one drop on the bottom of the shift mechanism. And a couple make it to the floor over a few days.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts on where it might be coming from.

Here it is on the floor.
It says you have a very nice floor. Beyond that...
grant - Sunday, 17 April, 2011, at 7:59:32 pm
...i cant see exactly what part of the shift mech it coming from. Is that the shifter ( the stalk and knob) or nearer the tranny? I think the former.

If so, i can only think its grease coming off the mech itself. What might be "washing" it down. No motor oil or tranny fluid goes forward to the passenger compartment or further, i don;t think. Brake fluid does, but that's at the outside sill, and isn't oil.

Sorry not to be of more help, but say more abotu where it is.

Grant
I would agree with Grant. There are a few sources in that area where spraying of a de-greaser and checking again may help you narrow it down.
Re: What does this oil leak say?
DFW02S - Sunday, 17 April, 2011, at 11:08:51 pm
Thanks guys, brake fluid occurred to me based on the light viscosity. Guess I need to do the degreaser process.
If oil obviously it will not.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
and the car was filthy.

When I first saw the car I thought the driver had been off-roading in the thing. But what had happened is a water main had broken and flooded the parking lot where the car was parked. Rather than wait for the water to stop gushing from the water main and and the water to drain away the driver decided to drive the car out of the lot and drove through some pretty nasty muddy water.

The car was in for a check out after this. But then what I noticed -- and I'm sure the techs had already noticed it -- was a nice 'oil' stain that started under the car from just about the steering rack and spread back and out to stain nearly all the way back to where the underbody panels ended.

And in another case, when the clutch slave cylinder on my Turbo started acting up clutch slave cylinder fluid from the small reservior under the panel in front of the driver under the front trunk lid leaked fluid and stained the plastic panel from the reservior going *forward*.

A fluid leak can have that fluid go not only long distances from its source, but in directions one might not believe if he didn't see them with his own eyes.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Aha. I sit, corrected *NM*
grant - Wednesday, 20 April, 2011, at 7:28:05 am
and the power steering reservoir sits on top of that...
Dave In MD - Wednesday, 20 April, 2011, at 7:58:55 am
and is subject to cracking due to age and heat. Just replaced my reservoir last month. It made a nice oil spot on the garage floor too. When the fluid gets low enough the power steering pump will start making a grinding sound when turning. If you continue to run it that way the pump will fail.

Good luck!

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login