Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
be aware that if you are taking off the original factory pads, you might have to remove the calipers to do it. The ones I took off my '01S had metal fixtures attached to the backing plate of each pad that held them firmly into the caliper pistons. I assume this was done at the factory so that the caliper could be preassembled as a unit and placed on the car. The same brand (Textar) replacement pads had normal smooth backing plates. Slowed up the job a bit but the insides of the calipers needed cleaining anyway. From now on, pad changes should be much quicker without the extra step.

Also, you might be able to salvage the rear sensors but unlikely the fronts. Mine were too brittle to remove intact so I was glad I bought new ones with the pads. The rears were re-usable. They are cheap so buy them before you start the project just in case.

Thanks again to Pedro for the online instructions. The car is now completely ready for my first DE next weekend. It better be. My knuckles are sore.
The newer cars...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 17 April, 2011, at 11:42:41 pm
... come with brake dampers that are adhered to the back of the pads and inserted into the pistons.
No need to remove the calipers to change the pads, though.
Just insert a knife between the pad and the damper plate and pry them off.
You'll then be able to lift the pads right off.
You can most likely re-use the damper plates by just leaving them in place and replacing just the pads.
I'll have to include a similar addendum to the DIY instructions.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
are not needed for the Boxsters. Porsche eliminated these from its list of items to replace/re-use for the Boxster brake jobs. I've not used them for years now.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
But check the rotors
TheFarmer - Monday, 18 April, 2011, at 7:52:30 am
By the time my front pads had worn down through daily street use, my front rotors were pretty far gone, so I replaced the rotors with the pads. Which of course does require removing the caliper.

These cars are interesting - go through front rotors at 2-to-1 and through rear tires at 2-to-1 (stop in the front, go in the back, I guess)
Re: But check the rotors
Rob in CO - Tuesday, 19 April, 2011, at 10:02:50 pm
Dampener thingies are in the trash with the old pads and the new ones seem fine without them. I checked the rotors and they are OK for this round but will be replaced with the next set of pads. 2 to 1 has been my experience with tires on this car and with tires and brakes on motorcycles. Actually, rear brakes on a motorcycle pretty much last forever.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login