Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Sheepskin Protector for New Rear Window - 2000 Boxster
patloc - Monday, 18 April, 2011, at 2:18:19 pm
Does anyone know where I can get a sheepskin protector for the new rear window I just had installed. I want to keep it looking good.
My 2000 S with 175K miles plastic window still looks darn good. Not like new of course, but darn good and I never used the protective cloth than came with my car during normal use. I did use it in the winter with my hard top but that really is to keep the plastic from flowing together... so I was told.

Just keep it clean and that is really all you need to do. If it is dirty, then lay a thin towel down.
Least that was what came with my car. I've also used a cotton towel figuring the loops would keep the surfaces away from each other and allow a place for any dirt to settle so it wouldn't even abrade between the window plastic and the cloth. My plastic rear window is about 9 or 10 years old. Though I've decided I'd like a glass window'ed top just so I never have to worry about the temperature when I raise or lower it.
The one I got was black; felt-like. *NM*
Laz - Monday, 18 April, 2011, at 10:08:36 pm
Re: The one I got was black; felt-like.
patloc - Sunday, 24 April, 2011, at 4:42:56 pm
Thanks for the input. I just bought a piece of flannel and want to use it to protect the rear window but am not sure where I place it.
Once I bring the top half way down, do I put it between the fold to protect the window from rubbing against itself, or on the top side to protect it from the canvas top, etc.? I'm not sure. Can you instruct me? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again,
patloc
I put it in between the plastic window folds figuring that if it were to be on the other side of the window (between canvas and clear plastic), there would be two of them. Plus the outside of the window is what picks up grime and dirt particles which is what you don't want trapped between the clear plastic and rubbing against each other.

I also use Novus #1 plastic polish twice a year on both inside and outside and Novus #2 every year on the outside as a cleaner. Other than that, just whatever car wash liquid mixed with water I happen to be using at the time. My car is not a garage queen or a show car, just a car I enjoy driving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2011 05:17PM by mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC. (view changes)
so postition it on the outside and fold the top. Watch to see if it slips out of position in some way, but it generally stays put. Aside from cleaning/polishing the plastic, use "Plexus" especially on the outside as it is purported to "nourish" the vinyl.
Re: Wasn't the original a felt-like yellowish material?
patloc - Sunday, 24 April, 2011, at 4:41:05 pm
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the input. I just bought a piece of flannel and want to use it to protect the rear window but am not sure where I place it.
Once I bring the top half way down, do I put it between the fold to protect the window from rubbing against itself, or on the top side to protect it from the canvas top, etc.? I'm not sure. Can you instruct me? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again,
patloc
How will you see out the back?spinning smiley sticking its tongue out *NM*
Red_Lightnin! - Tuesday, 19 April, 2011, at 11:30:40 am
1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
Dilithium Crystal Supercharger
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login