Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Window regulator replacement
EZ AIRE - Tuesday, 19 April, 2011, at 12:28:23 pm
The window regulator in my '99 986 on the passenger side has given up the ghost. Can anyone send me instructions on the replacement and adjustment of the auto droop? Or recommend a web site that explains? I know I have seen it around some where I just haven't had the chance to search for it properly.
Thanks in advance!
Re: Window regulator replacement
Kermit In Cleveland - Tuesday, 19 April, 2011, at 1:17:48 pm
I just took my '00 out of storage and I think the same thing happened. A quick google search will bring up a couple of good write ups. I believe Pelican Parts had one that I found. I didn't bookmark them since they were easy to find.

Kermit

Pelican Parts Technical Article
EZ AIRE - Tuesday, 19 April, 2011, at 4:36:57 pm
I put the window down and it wouldn't move after that. I got it up with a bit of fanageling and held it place (up) by lining the lower edge with velcro on the interior and exterior.
I had a friend who runs a body shop have one of the mechanics there to pull it apart and there were cables laying in the bottom of the door. When I depress the switch the motor is running, just no movevment of any mechanicals.
I spoke to the parts manager at Porsche of New Orleans and he confirmed our diagnostics. I went and picked up a new regulator today and it will be installed tomorrow.
I will go check out Pelican's Tech article. Hopefully it lays out the specifics on the adjustments...the replacement seems to be fairly straight forward.
I will post a follow up tomorrow after the job is done.
Thanks for the info!
Re: What are the symptoms?
gregsterInMO - Tuesday, 19 April, 2011, at 1:30:11 pm
My wife and I were tooling around the other day in my 2002 with the windows down, top down and all of a sudden, the passenger window when up, all on its own.

All the way-up!
G
Re: What are the symptoms?
Kermit In Cleveland - Tuesday, 19 April, 2011, at 3:55:23 pm
The symptoms for mine are the passenger window won't go up or down with the switches. It doesn't auto drop when the door handle (or top release) is opened. When I press the raise or lower switch, I can here a click in the door but nothing happens. The driver's window works correctly. The only other thing is the battery went dead over the winter (forgot the maintainer). I charged the battery outside the car, replaced it and it started right up. I think it's strange that the regulator would just randomly fail after winter storage. I'm thinking I'll have to open the door panel to figure it out.

Kermit
2000 S (116,000 miles)
EZ AIRE - Tuesday, 19 April, 2011, at 8:20:40 pm
Done! I changed it out in about an hour. Everything went back together as advertised and works as it is suppossed to. For those that are doing it, take your time getting the door pannel off, mark the position of the regulator at the bottom and the glasses position in the old regulator before removing and you will find this task almost as painless as changing the oil and plugs.
The directions at Pelican Parts were very consise and easy to follow after reading it thru once or twice.
Thanks to all who helped out....
Pirm-a-Grin is reinstalled!!!

Parts Cost $326.86 at dealership with tax. Pelican has them cheaper, without shipping and taxes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login