Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I don't know what it is lately, but the last few months whenever I go to change lanes in my P-car, the gapper sees it, speeds up and then honks at me halfway through the change. It doesn't happened when I drive my wife's Prius, and I drive it the same way for commuting and errand running. So, it has to be the car. I easily see that I'm gaining on the car in the other lane and can easily make the switch, but then notice the honking horn and a rear view mirror full of a grill. The only fun part is with the topdown weather here in DC being able to raise my arm into the air and wave at the creatin honking. I hope it pisses them off.

Ever since my first car as a teenager, which was a motorcycle, I've gotten in the habbit of using turn signals. It's so bad, that every so often leaving my driveway in the mornings, I'll turn it on. So, it will be a difficult habit to break, but it is getting tiresome getting honked at all the time.

Rant over.
It's an easy habit to break ... pull the bulbs winking smiley ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 20 April, 2011, at 10:07:05 am
... just kidding.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Any chance that you have a signal lamp burned out in the rear?
The basic problem is this is Washington, so even the Starbuck's Barista thinks they are an important person, and everybody drives like it.

1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
Dilithium Crystal Supercharger
After reading the book I now have a much different expectation of other drivers. Everyday we make it home alive after driving our cars is a mini miracle.

"Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could buy all kinds of useful things like...love!"
auuuughhhhh my ears!!!
frogster - Thursday, 21 April, 2011, at 12:59:09 pm
dutch. the only language even uglier than swiss-german!!!! winking smiley

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2011 02:45PM by Laz. (view changes)
i don't speak a syllable of dutch!
it sounds like they're always clearing their throat. i'm always half expecting them to hawk a major loogey at any moment. (hah, i haven't said "hawk a loogey" for about 30 years winking smiley )

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
One time I dreamed I was speaking Dutch. I've got no idea what I said, but the other people seemed to understand me and were smiling. Anywhere I've been in Europe I've been able to say some rudimentary words like thank you and such, but found Dutch impossible, like there's no cadence to it. Loved Amsterdam and the Mauritshuis in Den Haag, though.
I lived in the area and worked in DC for 12 years and had the same problem on every commute. I didn't even have to be driving the Porsche.the finger smiley
Just think how much in fines.....
dak911 - Thursday, 21 April, 2011, at 12:17:12 pm
could be collected if the lazy police, a lot of whom don't signal either, would give out summonses..
I blame the Police for NOT ENFORCING THE LAW...
Blame the policitians
Red_Lightnin! - Thursday, 21 April, 2011, at 12:43:56 pm
They set the priorities for the police. The police enforce the law just fine, but their political masters focus them on revenue generation (speeding and parking tickets) instead of public safety.

Did you hear the NPR interview of the head of DDOT? They asked him about DC's speeding and red-light camera program. He responded: "Very successful, they have raised over $10MM." The interviewer responded: "I thought they were put in for safety purposes?" and DDOT responded: "Oh yes, they have improved safety too."

This is what happens when you let government get out of control and forget that it exists to serve the people, not the other way around.

1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
Dilithium Crystal Supercharger
Re: Just think how much in fines.....
AreaOne - Thursday, 21 April, 2011, at 4:50:25 pm
>>could be collected if the lazy police, a lot of whom don't signal either, would give out summonses..
I blame the Police for NOT ENFORCING THE LAW<<

So if you get pulled over and ticketed for a bit of spirited driving and then come on the board to rant about it...I guess I could remind you of your statement.
Re: Just think how much in fines.....
dak911 - Friday, 22 April, 2011, at 8:12:35 am
Spitited driving in south Florida? Where, it's too crowded for that. (Well except for I 95 where you can pretty much go as fast as you want to especially if you are a group of 3 or 4 rice burners wih "can" mufflers.
And, as far as directional signals I ALWAYS SIGNAL EVERY DAMN TIME I TURN OR CHANGE LANES.
And way back when, I had a great drive on the Tamiami Trail in my girlfriend's aunt's new '73 Chevy. (Epcot was still under construction, by the way.) Being that year was just about the low point for car drivability, the Chevy had been running badly. After that trip, her aunt made the unsolicited comment that the car was running much better. (Think Italian Tune-up!)
yet I sometimes read the police activity summaries, and it seems like the cops frequently use failure to signal as an excuse to pull someone over. Go figure........
Once at a red light cops next to me started to run it, so I gave them a quick toot and wagged my finger with a smile. They stopped and smiled back. It didn't hurt that my girlfriend at that time who was built like a Las Vegas showgirl was smiling, too.
...I begin my lane change just a VERY short beat after engaging the directional. It's like, "signal, go!" so the potential cretin doesn't get the opportunity to become a demonstrated cretin.
Maybe I drive around the Manhatten area too much...
Dave In MD - Friday, 22 April, 2011, at 4:20:14 pm
but I've learned to start changing lanes and then signal. Around MD and DC I occasionally get a horn beep (but they didn't get the chance to speed up). Around NY, I don't recall anybody ever beeping.... it's how they drive.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
if you see a hole...fill it *NM*
old timer - Friday, 22 April, 2011, at 4:46:33 pm
two and downshift and leave the problem behind. don't want to get entangled in someone else's ego issue
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login