Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Flat six engine and SME tonearm commonality
Laz - Friday, 22 April, 2011, at 12:50:10 pm
Porsche claims the flat six engine configuration yields a lower center of gravity than others. In researching phono cartridges for my turntable, which has an SME arm, I came across a page on SME's site that reminded me of why the counterweight is underslung. (Five bullet points up from bottom.)

[www.sme.ltd.uk]
Re: Flat six engine and SME tonearm commonality
ff42racer - Friday, 22 April, 2011, at 4:25:17 pm
What TT are you using it on?
SOTA Star (love that vacuum hold down) with Cosmos armboard and reflex clamp. It also has litz wire running from the arm to an RCA termination on back for better suspension freedom, although I wonder about signal compromises. Additions to the arm are the silicone trough like the V (mine is a IV) and a finger lift. I used to have a van den Hul MC (autographed spec sheet even!) but have been using an Audioquest 7000nsx for years.
Dont remind me! Its ont he bench. Need to re-terminate those teensy wires; change the damping fluid, totally re-set-up the cart. Probabyl junk what i have and buy one. No knowing what happened to the one that;s been on there :-)

Grant
Any rig with damping fluid might be worth fixing up.
Oh, it is.
grant - Saturday, 23 April, 2011, at 6:37:58 pm
Logic DM101 with custom billet adjustable VTA perch, and a Well Tempered Arm.

Shame i let the dog chew on it :-)
Had it on a Strathclyde and then on a VPI table. Loved it and had no desire to change it. Used Grado catridges. I have my Boxster S for 11 years and no plans to change it either.

[hometheaterreview.com]
Check for my PM, BIP. *NM*
Laz - Friday, 22 April, 2011, at 11:15:46 pm
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2011 11:25PM by Laz. (view changes)
NBC - Where Can I Find.....
whall - Saturday, 23 April, 2011, at 10:14:35 am
record (LP/gasp! 45 RPM) cleaning material? I'm no longer a fanatic about crystal clear sound after a career around jet engines, but I'd like to at least clean the disks before committing them to being uploaded to my computer.

Thanks,

Bill
Re: NBC - Where Can I Find.....
Dave In MD - Saturday, 23 April, 2011, at 10:28:36 am
I've had a Discwasher for many years. Yes, I still use my turn table. A Dual 1229 with a Stanton 681 EEE cartridge played through my JBL studio monitors. Yea, I know... showing my age as they're right out of the mid-70s. There actually are still a few labels putting out vinyl.

[www.amazon.com]

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 10:31AM by Dave In MD. (view changes)
jpv42 - Saturday, 23 April, 2011, at 3:43:56 pm
I use the discwasher and a Decca record brush on a Denon DP-755 with an ADC LMF 1 arm with Grado cartrige.
patrick - Saturday, 23 April, 2011, at 4:20:57 pm
Used a Watts Parostatik Disc Preener before playing vinyl on my Phillips 212 Electronic turntable with Audio Technica nude shibata stylus (needed for Quad).
Not nearly as fancy as some of you guys rigs but got the job done nicely. Still have it and it works.
Anyone born in the 80s or after will have no idea what we are talking about and you are deprived if you never experienced listening to a really good vinyl system..
My 1975 Porsche 914 was a lot different then my 1997 Boxster but I think I prefer the newer technology in cars than audio systems.
That Stanton is a nice cartridge. *NM*
Laz - Monday, 25 April, 2011, at 1:21:33 am
Re: NBC - Where Can I Find.....Thanks Dave
whall - Monday, 25 April, 2011, at 1:04:43 pm
Thanks for the Amazon link. It's exactly what I was looking for.

patrick's comment about folks born during the 80's and after is spot on. To people who have never owned a record the thought of someone needing equipment to clean a record is indeed foreign.

BTW, some of my LP's are monaural!

Bill
My last was an (8m?) Are they still wildly load sensitive?

Grant
Let's PM at this point so as not to be so off Porsches on the Main Forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2011 01:28AM by Laz. (view changes)
If you want esoteric we can start on the value of $400 cables for the run between the phono cartridge and the head amplifier/phono stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 12:56PM by Capt Ron. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login