Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Sunglass thread
cribfiller - Saturday, 23 April, 2011, at 7:00:38 am
I would like to know what others are using for different driving conditions, I currently use Oakley's, polarized dark lens. What brands, lens colors, work best for others?
Re: I try to match my sunglasses with my wristwatch winking smiley
Dave In MD - Saturday, 23 April, 2011, at 8:41:38 am
Not me. Sunglasses are important to me. Polarized Ray Bans.

Watches, not so much. About the only time I wear a watch is at DEs when I don't have my phone with me all the time. Cheapest Timex I could find. smiling smiley

[lh6.googleusercontent.com]

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
You don't text and DE? *NM*
Laz - Saturday, 23 April, 2011, at 8:48:44 am
Re: You don't text and DE?
Dave In MD - Saturday, 23 April, 2011, at 9:48:21 am
Of course not, the driving gloves make pushing the little buttons too difficult... tongue sticking out smiley

One of the reasons I don't have my phone available is that I use it for timing on the track. I usually just leave it mounted in the car all the time. Droid 2 with TrackMaster software.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
What's a wristwatch?spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Re: Sunglass thread
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 23 April, 2011, at 9:39:20 am
I bought the Oakley Polarized Flak Jacket XLJs last year and love them for driving for the following reasons:

- polarizing gets rid of any reflection of the dash in the windshield, which to me is a big safety issue
- no frame on the lower side gives me increased peripheral vision
- lenses can easily be changed, so if you want two different kinds of lenses you don't have to have two pair of sunglasses. They have a number of different lenses available.
- they wrap around enough to keep sunlight out of my eyes in the morning / evening when I'm driving north or south
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Saturday, 23 April, 2011, at 9:46:17 am
I really like the Smith Optics line - I originally got into them for my flyfishing and have been a fan since.
My experience with polarized sunglasses is that the lens "grates" are at a 45ยบ orientation and I think the instrumentation emits light at either the vertical or horizontal. With each type of lens having an equal perceived density, the non-polarized glasses won't additionally chop off the light wave peaks and troughs.
That must be why the gauges are not readable when I am wearing my polarized lens, I have to pull them off to see the numbers. Also, same thing with the IPod, have to remove the glasses to read the screen.
Re:"I have to pull them off to see the numbers"
frogster - Monday, 25 April, 2011, at 4:49:01 pm
"Tell that to the judge, son. You were still doing 100 in a 50." winking smiley

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
It probably depends upont the manufacturer of the sunglasses and how they orient the lenses. I can read the instruments pretty well with my Action Optic polarized glasses.

mike
It probably depends upont the manufacturer of the sunglasses and how they orient the lenses. I can read the instruments pretty well with my Action Optic polarized glasses.

mike

mike
Padding your post count, Mike winking smiley *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 27 April, 2011, at 9:08:10 am
That's weird - that's weird - that's weird! cool smiley
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 27 April, 2011, at 10:54:13 am
Have no idea how that happened!
mike
I rotate them
Tnert - Saturday, 23 April, 2011, at 6:51:58 pm
I rotate through several different sunglasses for many reasons:

a. I switch out polarized for non-polerized to relieve eye fatigue on long drives.
b. I switch to polarized when I need the benefits; anti-glare, etc.
c. I switch to different frames while driving top-down to reduce facial tan lines.
d. I switch to match clothing, watch, or more likely my mood.

1. Oakley Oil Rigs : 2 pair to match outfits : They seal to your face quite well thus keeping top-down debrie out of your eyes, and unfiltered light. These work so well in sealing I use them on the motorcycle and rarely get forign objects in my eyes.

2. Ferrari Scuderia : 1x pair : They are extremely light, you cant even tell you are wearing them. Thin frames reduce tan lines.

3. Electric sunglasses : nice surfer type, black frames. Polarized

4. Several Misc Oakley's in different colors and styles, polarized and non.
986rgt - Saturday, 23 April, 2011, at 10:33:28 pm
Let's see, I've got a nice set of Polarized Dragon Irons, can't find a pic of them, but they are a nice wire frame, simple design.
Two sets of Dragon Revs: one set in tortoise, one in a tan clear fade

And a set of Oakley Gas cans: in white

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
for driving since they eliminate reflections/glare of things on the road you need to see, per my doctor. He says driving with Polarized glasses is outlawed in some countries because of this danger. I read some post on other sites that also complained about not seeing the dash clearly because of the Polarized effect.
Naples996
for driving since they eliminate reflections/glare of things on the road you need to see, per my doctor. He says driving with Polarized glasses is outlawed in some countries because of this danger. I read some post on other sites that also complained about not seeing the dash clearly because of the Polarized effect.

Did you doctor mention any reflection/glare that you would want to see on the road? confused smiley I can't think of any that would be benificial.

It would be interesting to know what country(ies) outlaw polarized lenses. Did a quick search and couldn't find any mention of it.

The only things I could find was that you shouldn't wear polarized sunglasses at night. ......OK, I'd go along with that. ...now moonglasses, that's another story. winking smiley

I agree that the digital instrument readout is not as easy to read as (it seems dimmer) with regular sunglasses. To me it's a fair tradeoff to have clear vision through the windshield. I find that under some lighting conditions, the reflection of the dash in the windshield can really cut down on what you can see on the road ahead.

Interestingly, the digital instuments in my wife's BMW are not effected by polarized sunglasses. Not sure what the difference is.
As an example the doctor said some oil or water on the road create glare that would be eliminated by the Polarized glasses. He said the great properties that Polarized lens have for water related activities don't always transfer to other uses where being able to see a contrast is needed.

I don't remember which countries outlaw them, we had that conversation last year. This year he just reminded me of it. Like most advice doctors give you, it's your choice if you want to follow it. He will make me a pair of Polarized glasses if that's what I want, he is just CYA in telling me about the side effects for my intended use.
Naples996
As an example the doctor said some oil or water on the road create glare that would be eliminated by the Polarized glasses. He said the great properties that Polarized lens have for water related activities don't always transfer to other uses where being able to see a contrast is needed.

I don't remember which countries outlaw them, we had that conversation last year. This year he just reminded me of it. Like most advice doctors give you, it's your choice if you want to follow it. He will make me a pair of Polarized glasses if that's what I want, he is just CYA in telling me about the side effects for my intended use.

I don't think that I've had any trouble seeing puddles or oil on the road with my sunglasses, but there may be other things to consider also.

I think your SUV has a tinted windshield, doesn't it? I recall seeing some darker parts on your windshield. So it could be that Polarize sunglasses aren't ideal if you have tinted (not refering to the factory tint) windshield, which I think would almost be a necessity down were you live.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to tint mine that dark up here in Ontario. We hardly see the sun for 4 - 5 months in winter - cloud, cloud and more cloud, so I find the factory tint is plenty for us northerners.
I had my SUV tinted with 3M film that has UV protection since we have such sunny weather in Florida. As a result I don't usually need my sunglasses when I am driving it. I use the sunglasses mostly for driving the Porsche since it is not tinted or when the top is down.

I wish I could easily switch from one style or type to another but prescription sunglasses are expensive and the choices are limited due to the lens/frame curvature. Some of those really nice wrap around styles are not available in prescription. The other alternative is to wear contacts and deal with the issues they have, choices, choices.
Or get LASIK. Best thing I've ever done for myself!! cool smiley
Or LASIK. How long has it been since you had it done Scott? Would you recommend it?
I think it's been about 10 years now since I had it done. Oh I would absolutely recommend it! Not having to wear glasses/contacts has been a godsend, especially for an active sort like me and someone who could not really wear contacts.

At least go and get a free consultation to see if you're a candidate. I think at this point they've been doing it long enough and have fine tuned it so that they can take care of just about any condition. Actually I had to have a different type of procedure due to a thin cornea, which lengthened my recovery time, but it was absolutely worth it. You won't regret it if you have it done.
Ice, too. *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 27 April, 2011, at 10:35:41 pm
I've worn Native since 2005
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Wednesday, 27 April, 2011, at 11:10:23 pm
They're polarized to eliminate my Savanna glare, fit great and best of all, I bought them at REI so they have a lifetime guarantee! I am on my third replacement pair. They come with polarized lenses for full sun and yellow lenses for boarding in snowy conditions. Love 'em!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login