Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Mobil1 15W-50
Brasco - Sunday, 1 May, 2011, at 1:24:38 am
Hello,
I'm still not having success in finding 5 quart jugs of M1 15W-50, I've tried the auto parts and Walmart.
Walmart does not agree to ship to closest store any more. They consider this a hazardous product and cannot be
shipped. If anyone knows of a location in Plattsburgh N.Y or Burlington VT where this can be found.

Regards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 01:26AM by Brasco. (view changes)
Re: Mobil1 15W-50
Laz - Sunday, 1 May, 2011, at 1:54:43 am
Try Amazon. The link I'm providing shows two Mobil 1s with the same viscosity. The "Supersyn" item is not listed as such on Mobil's site, but the 15-50 there is described as having "Supersyn technology." I didn't see the "94002" used in the Amazon description.

[www.amazon.com]
Re: Mobil1 15W-50
Brasco - Sunday, 1 May, 2011, at 3:00:16 pm
Thank you for the link Laz, much appriciated !
How about....
grant - Sunday, 1 May, 2011, at 8:51:01 am
Syntec 20w50; Syntec 10w40; M1 10w40 HM?

Or somewhere else besides wally world? I often buy ELF/total synthetic from my local indie - just to support him ( and its very good oil). He would order anything i wanted. Fair price (long term customer price).

What car are you driving, and what's you duty cycle that requires 15w50? ( yes i know we just had a big discussion, but for 95% of use, it really doesn't make that big a difference)

Grant
Re: How about....
Brasco - Sunday, 1 May, 2011, at 10:44:28 am
Hello Grant
I'm driving a Boxster 98. It just that I've always used the M1 15w-50. Never had an engine issue. Just a creature of habit I guess.
Only drive car in over 70 degree temps. Garage rest of time. If I knew for sure that another oil be just as good, I'd stop searching m1 15w-50 in 5 quart jugs.
One of my other reasons for using this, is that Pedro uses the same, on same model.
Thanks for your help Grand
unless you race or track the car, or abuse it, near anything "good" ( meaning ACEA A3 rated) is just fine. Unless the oil is over 100 degc and turning at hgih rpms continuously, AND under heavy load, any old 5w30 is probably fine - if its clean, free of acid, and free of moisture.

(anyone really disagree?)

If you only drive warm weather, thick oil is certainly beneficial - although it eats some fuel economy.

The castrol syntec 20w50 is ACEA A3/B4, porsche approved, and JPF approved :-) I think its excellent. Typically i've been running Syntec 10w40 since its available, and i do drive my car all winter.

I think we tend to get into theoretical debates over what is "best", when in reality we can feel comfortable with "good enough" - and keep it fresh, clean, and dry.

The two things i would avoid are:

a) non ACEA A3 rated oils
b) any oil - and this applies to some of the most hgih tech super oils now being introduced -- that has a very wide viscosity range - 5w50 for example. They cannot be made without additives that result in shear down and sludge under extreme use. And if the use isnt extreme, who needs 'em? Can't have it both ways IMNSHO.

I also like ELF/Total full synthetic, obviously AMSOIL and REDLINE are very good oils, although i can't tolerate the religion that goes along with them.

Grant
It may be a State...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 1 May, 2011, at 6:53:46 pm
... dependent law or something because they do it for me here in Florida on a regular basis.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login