Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
{Hey gang - long-time PPBBer, first time here}
Both of my heat shields are basically lying there on top of the pipes, and they rattle at low/starting RPMs. They don't seem to go anywhere, but I need to lock 'em back down. Each has three attach points.

I ordered one set of the replacement cam-lock bolts, thinking that I was getting six of them because of the price ($12.25) and the way that Pelican says '6 required' leading me to think I was getting 6. But no - for that much dough you get one washer, one bolt and one support (the nut on a clip). Honestly, in your hand it looks like a dollar's worth of fasteners.

So my question is: is there a way to get the same parts at a more realistic price, or is there an alternative? A regular bolt could work but would be much more of a pain to install vs. the quarter-turn original parts.

Part numbers:
900-151-007-02 Washer $1.50
999-507-413-09 Clip/nut $4.25
999-507-430-09 Bolt $6.50
There is ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 1 May, 2011, at 6:52:17 pm
... no other alternative.
I suggest you get them because if you loose the shield it will burn, melt or at least deform parts of your rear bumper skin.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Try Home Depot
Boxsterra - Monday, 2 May, 2011, at 7:27:27 am
You just need relatively short bolts with matching J-clips. The diameter of the bolts is not terribly important.
If you use simple screws ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 2 May, 2011, at 9:18:12 am
... the vibration and high heat from the cats will loosen them in no time.
The OEM fasteners are quarter-turn, locking fasteners that rely on the clip's spring action in order to lock in place.
Maybe Home Depot or Lowe's has something similar in their special fasteners drawers.
Make sure they are stainless.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: If you use simple screws ...
frogster - Monday, 2 May, 2011, at 2:15:19 pm
I would guess that you would need to get stainless steel or something that would resist high temp and corrosion or you'll be replacing them every year or two.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Not for me
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 3 May, 2011, at 7:05:07 pm
Standard screws have lasted for about 65k miles so far with no issues.
a comment....
por911(bc) - Monday, 2 May, 2011, at 2:24:49 pm
You might see if any of the original hardware is lying around there. I find it usually gets stuck in any number of places before hitting the pavement. Otherwise, you might check any local suppliers. It's worth checking the drive train mounts on the car. We used to have this issue until I changed them out a while back. If your buying the hardware oem, you might try a discounting dealer (Suncoast, Sunset, etc...) which might be lower cost wise.
regards
On another car I used a big hose clamp.
Laz - Tuesday, 3 May, 2011, at 9:37:42 pm
Opened it up, reinserted the end, and made up on it until it was snug. Every now and then I'd have to get under there and make up on the screw, which I had in an easy-to-reach-with-a-long-screwdriver position.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2011 09:39PM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login