Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Does that screen come off? On other vehicles I've flushed the brake fluid for, I've sucked out the old brake fluid from the MC reservoir with a baster dedicated for brake fluid.

I tried to take the screen off the MC reservoir in my boxster, but it might not come off.... Is this correct?

Is the reservoir and screen a 1 piece deal?

The BF doesn't look dirty, so I could just pump it through.... it's 3yrs old., will be my 1st flush on my S.
you can siphon out quite a bit of the old fluid to reduce the amount of new fluid you pump through the system.

That is if the screen is removable on the 03 Boxster. I think it is cause I've seen the techs remove the screen for even newer models of Porsches prior to doing a brake flush/bleed.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
And i flush at least annually. NBD. easier to use the extra 1 oz.

Grant
through the brake system. The only really 'dirty' fluid I've seen when I've flushed my Boxster's brake system is the initial tablespoon or two that comes ou at the caliper bleed screws/valves. This fluid can be quite nasty looking, considering. And seeing this nasty looking fluid makes the initial effort to get this brake flush/bleed process underway less and completed less a chore and more an expression of love for the car.

If you do not fully flush the system, you just move old possibly still rather clear but still contaminated fluid from the reservior to lower or further away into the wheel brake lines and calipers where it will begin at once to work its harm on the components it comes in contact with. In short don't be stingy with the new fluid.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Not just "should" - "must"
grant - Wednesday, 4 May, 2011, at 10:26:07 am
... or the next time you will push ages old brake fluid into the caliper where you want it the least!
It's a pain but it does come out...
Rob in CO - Monday, 2 May, 2011, at 11:22:35 pm
I put a pair of needle nose pliers on each side of it and pulled. I may just leave it out altogether next time. I don't see how it is critical in any way.
Just...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 3 May, 2011, at 9:26:28 am
... leave it in place.
If you're using a positive pressure system such as the Motive Bleeder just put a liter of fresh fluid in it, hook it up to the reservoir and flush everything through.
The way I see it why suction anything out if it's better to flush it through.
The more fluid that goes through the brake/clutch lines and cylinders the better the chance to get out more trapped air bubbles and other contaminants.
The basket/filter is there to protect the master cylinder from foreign matter.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Just...
Yippee38 - Friday, 6 May, 2011, at 3:09:11 pm
Or, don't put any fluid in the bleeder at all. Use air pressure to push the fluid out. When it starts getting to the bottom, top it off, and repeat until all of the old fluid is replaced. It keeps the bleeder clean.
I really dislike that approach - here's why
grant - Friday, 6 May, 2011, at 3:32:26 pm
first, you have to keep adding fluid. Its quite a pain if you truly flush (which takes about 800ml). More of a pain, IMO, than cleaning the thing with hot water which takes 5 minutes.

Second, if you are too slow or careless, you can introduce air into the M/C or worse - into the ABS system. I did it once, and getting it out was horrific.

What's the big deal cleaning it? Rinse with hot water, pump it up and run 1L through the thing on air pressure let dry (ages). If you're really anal, swish with alcohol after its dry and push THAT through with air. I do thsi at least twice a year per car. The safety of having a full liter in there exceeds the time of cleaning by a wide margin.

if you are just doing a quick bleed, that's different. That's 25mL x 4 + clutch mayb = not much.

Grant
Re: I really dislike that approach - here's why
Petee_C - Friday, 6 May, 2011, at 9:55:11 pm
cleaning the motive is not too bad. getting all the water out is ..... I've got a couple drops of water in the clear tube of mine from when I cleaned mine 3 weeks ago when doing the Jetta.

Going to run some old but mostly clean BF thru it to flush out the drops of water from the cleaning. Then refill with fresh BF for the flush.
to better ideas
grant - Saturday, 7 May, 2011, at 8:59:06 am
1. wait. it will go away. Wat's left is not water, its old brake fluid
2. use, as i do, a little alcohol. that cleans better and evaps fast
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login