Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
The bolts that hold the half-shaft to the transmission flange were almost seized solid. He managed to get all of them out by barely. The bolt heads are small, 6mm allen head bolts, and given the bolts had been in service for so long...

But, the bolt threads showed some odd corrosion. What I suspect happened is when I had the car in way back in mid-2002 for its RMS/IMS (end plate) R&R (under warranty) the bolts were reused, though treated with anti-seize. But over the years this led to corrosion -- the exposed bolt threads were as fresh as the day they were made -- and could have ruined the threads in the transmission flange. Ouch.

Anyhow, the tech managed to get them out though the tool bit sockets were rounded. He has ordered new bolts -- they'll be here probably today. If I heard correctly and I'm not sure I did and I didn't think to ask for more details but I believe the replacement bolts will be better, the same size perhaps but with a Torx head.

The S used an 8mm allen head bolt while the newer models use a larger bolt (8mm) but it comes with a Torx head.

Oh, just for curiosity's sake, I asked about the cost of a new (factory) engine. I was told a factory engine for the car is $10K and there's a day's labor to remove the old one and install the new one. This assumes the tech runs into no difficulties like broken exhaust system bolts/fasteners and so on.

But of course there is also the 'while we are there' factor. Of course, in my car's case there's the clutch and possibly a new flywheel. Motor mounts, perhaps. Hoses perhaps. Not saying I'm going this route, just wanted to know.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Once you drop the tranny and remove the flywheel ,they are right there, staring you in the face.

Spitting oil at you even :-)

Grant
the half-shafts either have to be removed or more likely unbolted just from the transmission so at least the transmission can be lowered out of the way.

Which may explain why the bolts at the transmission flanges were almost impossible to remove while the ones at the hub flanges came loose with no extraordinary effort.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Doh! *NM*
grant - Wednesday, 4 May, 2011, at 3:59:08 pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login