Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
further headlight discussion. UV sealer
Petee_C - Thursday, 5 May, 2011, at 8:36:27 am
My boxster headlights are clear, but I was following the headlight polishing discussions. We got a catalogue of 'Driver Stuff' from our Canadian Tire store yesterday......

This UV sealer peaked my interest. No idea how often it would need to be applied, but it may help if u have done a DIY repair on fogged headlamps.

[www.canadiantire.ca]

Peter
Those sealers...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 5 May, 2011, at 9:36:45 am
... work for a week or so until they come off due to washing and or the elements.
The only ones that work are industrial products that are sprayed onto the headlight and bond with the acrylic, forming a UV clear coat that lasts a few years.
As far as I know, no one has packaged a good quality UV clearcoat in an aerosol can for DIY'ers.
This is the system I use:
[i83.photobucket.com]
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: further headlight discussion. UV sealer
Capt Ron - Thursday, 5 May, 2011, at 7:03:56 pm
Carnuba wax has a pretty good UV filter factor, I'm told.
that professionally does headlights. They do the same thing that you see on TV with Mothers, Meguiar, 3M etc. the difference is the final step, where the pros use a spray on sealant that has UV protection. This worked so well that a family member brought a franchise to offer this service in their shop.

The friend that told me about it is going on two years, mine (two cars) are one year old and still clear.

Pedro is correct, "The only ones that work are industrial products that are sprayed onto the headlight and bond with the acrylic, forming a UV clear coat that lasts a few years."
Re: further headlight discussion. UV sealer
tamarsha - Friday, 6 May, 2011, at 11:09:58 pm
I used the 3M product which was a little difficult to cut through the UV coating, then only lasted a year before the yellow returned. I just tired the Osram Sylvania Restoration Kit... good stuff so far. The two big advantages were that the first step was a spray that helped break down the existing UV coating and yellowing. After sanding and polishing you then wipe on a clear/UV coating that makes the lens crystal clear and is supposed to have a lifetime warranty. Wiping on the coating works ok. I wish I had and air brush gun to spray in on so it would be perfect. But over all, a 9 out of 10 as is. I would recommend trying the Sylvania kit to clear up those eyes.
Some questions about a term that's been discussed before
Laz - Saturday, 7 May, 2011, at 9:27:29 am
None of these is intended to diminish the value of any effective product:
Just what does "lifetime," as in "lifetime warranty" mean? The product is guaranteed to last as long as it lasts? It functions as long as it lasts? Can one be sure of the product's still being present? The life of the product; the life of the car; just the headlight lens? Does the warranty require regular reapplication of the product? Is the written warranty explicit enough about any of this?
No clue about the warranty. I am sure it is more marketing than anything else and didn't even bother looking at the "terms".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login