Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
And, either way, is it practical ( if the boots are not damaged) to remove the old boots and seal/gasket, clean everything, and re-install them?

This is a proactive question - before i find myself stuck.....

Mine are not big S brakes. 2004 2.7MT

Grant
thanks. I'll go look.
grant - Friday, 6 May, 2011, at 3:32:50 pm
have you ever dis-assembled, cleaned, lubricated and used old parts if they look good?

Either piston seal or dust boot?

Wondering if i need to replace them all - or just have, say, one set of each size on hand.

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2011 03:39PM by grant. (view changes)
I rebuilt a set of Boxster calipers...
Cris - Friday, 6 May, 2011, at 7:22:39 pm
I bought a pair of Boxster calipers from a junkyard for my Audi A4. Before installing them, replace the (8) dust caps and seal (IIRC) before painting them red and mounting them on the A4. While it's not necessary to replace the dust caps and seals (unless they're broken), you may as well you're taking the calipers off. You would only need to rebuild the o-rings for the pistons if you've let the dust caps go bad (tear) and have crap gets inside the pistons. If not, you are perfectly OK replacing the dust caps. It's a relatively easy project. Get the caliper on a workbench, put a 2x4 (wood) in where the brake pads and rotors usually sit. The idea is to use compressed air to push the pistons out from recessed positions. So, use the blow gun attachment to the brake line inlet to push the pistons out. Keep your fingers clear of the pistons and 2x4. The pistons come out pretty fast. If you don't use a 2x4, you'll probably get one piston out and will have a heck of a time getting the others 3 out you now have an open system.
The replacement parts are relatively cheap and easy 30 min project using a compressor. Good luck!

Here is a picture of a blow gun attachment.

Remove the line circled and put the blow gun tip right at the inlet of the caliper.
that compressor part is a challenege for me...
grant - Saturday, 7 May, 2011, at 9:10:55 am
. ah well. I expect i can use the car's own brake system to drive them most of the way out and do the rest manually.

Where did you get the audi mounting brackets? Bira made one for a while.

Grant
you can remove pads then slowly push out the pistons
Cris - Saturday, 7 May, 2011, at 11:04:38 pm
then remove the calipers for servicing. You may be able to find a friend with compressor.

I got the brackets from EVO Motorsport... I don't think they sell them anymore. BIRA sold their kits for a couple years only - I have friends with the BIRA kit.
thanks *NM*
grant - Sunday, 8 May, 2011, at 12:16:28 pm
Re: I rebuilt a set of Boxster calipers...
Blackboxst - Monday, 9 May, 2011, at 10:00:52 am
Yes......I did this to my Alfa Spiders brakes. Be careful they can really fly out fast and hard !
Do not re-use the seals
Red_Lightnin! - Monday, 9 May, 2011, at 5:24:48 pm
They are not very expensive, and if you rebuild the brakes but re-use old seals you haven't really rebuilt the brakes and you may damage the seals without realizing it.

Why do you think they need to be rebuilt? Mine have 179,000 miles on them - I had them looked at by a guy who does lots of race-prep and he said they were fine.

1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
Dilithium Crystal Supercharger
Agreed...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 9 May, 2011, at 5:54:47 pm
... my rear calipers have 206,000 miles and have not been rebuilt.
The front calipers only have 150,000 miles on them but haven't been rebuilt either.
They both look good. Not leaks. Dust seals are perfect.
Rotors wear perfectly even.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
* sticking int he front. I was getting taper wear as a result, and when i dug further, the pistons were not moving freely. Taking Marc's advice i cleaned them well, worked some brake fluid into the piston/dust boot area, moved them in and out while bathing them with brake fluid, and got them appearing to work well again. By working well, i mean that if i pushed in one piston, its mate came out correspondingly (which they did not do initially). So, its clear that some dirt got in and gummed them at least a little. There's my reason!

Grant
1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
Dilithium Crystal Supercharger
I don't like it when brakes act oddly at the track.

Thanks for the advice. I'll order 8 and have them on hand (yes, actually 4 large and 4 small, right?)

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2011 07:26PM by grant. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login