Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
beep-beep - why is my car beeping at me?
Petee_C - Monday, 9 May, 2011, at 2:59:50 pm
'01 Box S

is it something to do with the central locking button on the dash? Sometimes it's on, but I don't know why. I don't understand the quirks of the Porsche 'user-interface' sometimes....

I lock my car with the remote, and things look fine. Sometimes it's with the top down, sometimes it's with the top up and latched in place. Both trunks are closed and latched properly. The armrest cubby is closed, (but not locked).

I come back to my car, and unlock it with the remote, and sometimes it beeps at me, then unlocks. Don't think anyone's messed with the car.

I'm driving, and sometimes I notice that the red light by the 'center locking button' is on. I press it to try to get the light to go away, but sometimes the car will beep at me again.....

What am I missing? or is something broken?

Thanks,
Peter

PS. Also had a minor problem with the passenger side window not dropping the 1/2" or so when openning the passenger side door.. It's sitting proper right now, but I thought it might be from my kids not openning the door with enough strength when getting out.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 03:08PM by Petee_C. (view changes)
2 suggestions
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Monday, 9 May, 2011, at 3:26:51 pm
1. Lock the center armrest and see what happens.

2. The central locking system has several options that are set via a PST2/PWIS and one is to lock the doors automatically when the car is going 5MPH. When mine lock due to that setting, the red light goes on on the locking dash button. There are 4 optional setting covered in the owner's manual around page 21.
Re: 2 suggestions
db997S - Tuesday, 10 May, 2011, at 8:09:34 am
Actually, locking the center console can be the issue. When I used to do this, the action of pushing the key into the hole unknownly can pop the lid open. So, if you do lock it, make sure you push down on the lid to ensure it doesn't pop up. If you aren't locking it and you still get the road runner beep beep, then before exiting the car, make sure that the lid is closed and latched.
Petee_C
'01 Box S

is it something to do with the central locking button on the dash? Sometimes it's on, but I don't know why. I don't understand the quirks of the Porsche 'user-interface' sometimes....

I lock my car with the remote, and things look fine. Sometimes it's with the top down, sometimes it's with the top up and latched in place. Both trunks are closed and latched properly. The armrest cubby is closed, (but not locked).

I come back to my car, and unlock it with the remote, and sometimes it beeps at me, then unlocks. Don't think anyone's messed with the car.

I'm driving, and sometimes I notice that the red light by the 'center locking button' is on. I press it to try to get the light to go away, but sometimes the car will beep at me again.....

What am I missing? or is something broken?

Thanks,
Peter

PS. Also had a minor problem with the passenger side window not dropping the 1/2" or so when openning the passenger side door.. It's sitting proper right now, but I thought it might be from my kids not openning the door with enough strength when getting out.....

door lock assembly.

The alarm would beep when I locked the car. I never found anything ajar, not even the center console lid. Other times the dash door lock LED would light up on its own. I'd push the unlock button and I'd hear the doors unlock but sometimes the LED would come on again on its own. The last symptom was the passenger side window not dropping when I opened the door, from either the inside or the outside, or worse dropping when I opened the door only to go up again after the door was open. If I failed to spot this the glass would make a horrible sound when I closed the door as the top edge of the glass would hit the top rail.

I took the car in and the tech pulled some error codes from the car's security/locking system and checked other related components but ultimately id'd the cause as the passenger side door lock assembly. This assembly/unit supplies several functions and had gone bad. After it was replaced the the error codes cleared the system has worked just fine ever since.

If you want to check a few things, check that the cabin carpets are dry. Check along the bottom of the doors. Be sure the front and back water drains are clear. But if like me if you find no signs of water and the drains are clear, then likely it is the door lock assembly/unit.

It is rather expensive, on the order of $400 IIRC. Labor not including some preliminary diagnostics is at least an hour. The prelim stuff may seem like bill padding but as the tech explained to me the door lock unit is expensive while the other possible components are not nearly so so he was hoping the cause was not the door lock unit.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Re: beep-beep - why is my car beeping at me?
frogster - Tuesday, 10 May, 2011, at 1:03:34 pm
Petee_C

this happened to me once and from memory, this beep indicates a detected fault in the system. this is consistent with MarcW's comments.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Re: beep-beep - why is my car beeping at me?
Petee_C - Wednesday, 11 May, 2011, at 9:49:13 am
thanks for the responses....

it seems to have settled down now.... will keep an eye on it.

Peter
in my car for a long time. Other than a bit of anxiety from not knowing what was going on and comments from my passenger about the car being possessed there were no other side effects.

But when the passenger window failed to go down when the door was opened and the top of the glass scraped against the top rail or the window dropped only to come up again after the door was open to then upon closing the door again to have the top of the glass smack the rail with a sound that had me expecting to see the glass in fragments finally pushed me to have this looked into.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login