Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Bad Alternator.....again!
John from MN - Wednesday, 11 May, 2011, at 4:10:26 pm
It's been a long time since I've been here, and it's good to see a lot of familiar names. I just got back from the dealer with my 01S (manual) and reportedly the alternator had "excess diode ripple indicating the diode bridge has failed". Which basically means, bad alternator. They say they can repair it for $300 which sounds better than a new one at $1200 + labor. My question is, are the alternators for these cars a problem area? This is the 3rd alternator this car has had in 10 years. Thoughts?
There are a few possible causes
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 11 May, 2011, at 6:56:49 pm
Most likely either a connection problem with the battery or use of a low-quality charger (while the battery is connected to the car). I would definitely check those things before replacing the alternator again.

I would also look into whether or not the diode can be replaced separately. It is definitely manufactured separately and put on the alternate afterward. It is a super cheap part. Porsche would never admit that it can be replaced separately, even if it could.
I'll verify with them because they still want another $300 for labor so a total of $600, which seems awfully expensive if it's truly as cheap of a part as you say. I don't think it's the maintainer because that is a Porsche part. Thanks for your help!
John,

I had a slowly dying alternator recently. As the alternator got warmer, the voltage dropped....to a point where t was developing around 10 volts. Rather than replace the alternator, I had the voltage regulator replaced at an automotive electrical shop, $80. I had the alternator R and R'ed by my dealer, $200. I recognize that the job could have been done cheaper had I R and R'ed the alternator and replaced the voltage regulator myself. But, this way, I was confident that the alternator would alternate and the installation would be functional....plus, I didn't have to get my hands dirty. And, $280 vs $1375 seemed like such a bargain, I couldn't resist.

Here's a link:

[forums.pelicanparts.com]

Bill
I got a used one on ebay for $60..
scott in socal - Thursday, 12 May, 2011, at 11:26:49 am
that was taken off a late model boxster, and my local indie installed it for me for a couple hours labor. Total cost just under $300.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login