Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Other Car
kosiba - Wednesday, 11 May, 2011, at 9:39:57 pm
Hi All-

I'm looking for another "my other car" to drive to dusty sports fields, out on stormy days, during the winter, etc... My old Mercury Capri (don't laugh) is nearing its end.

Here are my criteria:

Needs to be a convertible.
Needs to have a backseat.
I need to feel OK with it being hit with a lacrosse ball and parking in dusty, scratch prone lots (hence no 911- even if I could afford it)
It needs to be used.
Potentially, my current 13 year old will take it in 3 years. So safety is a bit of an issue.

I've been looking at a Saab 9-3, but haven't driven one yet. Like them?

Any other suggestions?
What kind of budget are you considering?
dghii - Wednesday, 11 May, 2011, at 10:03:19 pm
BMW 3 Series are nice cars and the inline 6 is bullet proof if maintained correctly. Achilles heel on the car is the automatic transmission and recognizing that cooling system R/R every 60k is considered normal.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Re: What kind of budget are you considering?
kosiba - Wednesday, 11 May, 2011, at 10:29:33 pm
Open- but thinking 15-20K
+1 on the Bimmer
Roger987 - Thursday, 12 May, 2011, at 7:31:41 am
Though I hate to think of it being a scratched-up lacrosse ball target.

Sounds more like a job for anything GM built.
My 13 year old son would *LOVE* that when he turns 16!!!!
Re: D.I.C. is the Direct Ignition Cassette.
gregsterInMO - Thursday, 12 May, 2011, at 4:18:46 pm
Not expensive, but when they go, there gone and your done.

Easy install on the side of the road. Only fault I know of on the 93 series...Keep the oil changed though. There has been sludge problems reported with poorly serviced cars...
961?
Laz - Thursday, 12 May, 2011, at 3:53:35 pm
Yes, based on that car
db997S - Friday, 13 May, 2011, at 9:45:55 am
A Google News search for Porsche 961 will pop up some blogs/internet sites that have given some specifics, including this one site:

Re: BMW, Benz, or Saab.
gregsterInMO - Thursday, 12 May, 2011, at 9:28:10 am
I have a BMW M3 as my "Other Car" it is a 1999, been with me a while now, but has proven to be a fantastic bargin for what you get. My 17 year old son has a Mercedes C240. Nice ride and so far has also proven to be a good, reliable, ride.

I sold my 1999 Saab 93 Convert with over 125,000 miles on it. Never once let me down. You can get into those type of Saab for very little $$$$, they are safe, they are reliable, they are front wheel drive. Insurance wont be that big of an isssue when your 13 year old becomes of age to drive it. Keep the oil changed in them, and keep a D.I.C. spare handy and you should be golden for many, many, many miles!

Good luck
Re: BMW, Benz, or Saab.
kosiba - Thursday, 12 May, 2011, at 1:41:55 pm
What's a D.I.C. ?? (I looked it up and Saab guys talk about it but don't say what it is!!)
a comment....
por911(bc) - Friday, 13 May, 2011, at 11:09:19 am
If you can give up the back seat, Miata's are pretty solid cars right out of the box. The family just added a new Subaru Outback as the bad weather car to the stable, but it is not a convertible.
regards
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login