Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
One day after a rainy evening I was horrified to found that my Boxster had developed a lake in the back ! After clearing out the water, I found two tears, one on either side along the seams between the plastic window and the canvas top. I talked to multiple posche mechanics, dealers and looked online. All said the same; nothing could be done. Undeterred, I went to my local hardware store and found my salvation; an automotive and industrial adhesive called E-6000. I ran it along the seam ( needs a steady hand) and let it dry for a day. Since, I've had no more leaks even after opening and closing the roof multiple times. It's been two months and no leaking !! It's cheaper than replacing the plastic window or the whole top.
Perfect timing for this tip as the rear window had just developed a 1mm crack. Will give it a try today.
This is a GREAT emergency fix!
RainyDayGarage - Tuesday, 17 May, 2011, at 9:26:45 pm
Fixed the two small 1mm cracks...no leaking. However, the yesterday's downpour in Boston CLEARLY revealed a 1.5" crack along the seam on the passenger side when the Boxster went out for a ride.

Filled in the crack this AM, took the car out this afternoon and got caught in another downpour... but NOTHING leaked. Not sure how long it will last, but definitely a GREAT emergency fix.
when the stuff fails and the leaks return until it is too late. You were lucky ths time the water didn't damage the car's electronics -- the box under the driver's seat (or is it the passenger's seat?).

Next time you may not be so lucky and that cheap tube of glue, err industrial adhesive -- will be the most expensive tube of industrial adhesive you've ever bought.

As long as the top is in good condition -- the canvas cover is intact and the rubber sheet underneath not leaking, a new window can be installed. It cost me $600 at a quality car top and upholstery shop and I live in an expensive area so you may find a place that will do it for less.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login