Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
The selling of my Boxster
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Saturday, 14 May, 2011, at 2:32:48 pm
Took it to Raleigh the other day. Wife along. Made comment that her arthritis made it really more uncomfortable to get in much less sit in it. I had been thinking for the last year that I was using it so little than I really should sell it.

Placed a simple ad on Craigslist. No pictures. True description. Fair price...not the best not the worst. '01S 60k miles

Two calls both guys trying to work out when they could get here. I'm in a little town 50 miles from Raleigh and not always available. One day it is a golf outing, next day a train ride to DC to retrieve my wife's Acura after AAMCO repaired her transmission. But got a call that EJ was in the area and so dashed out to dust off the interior and wash the mud off from the dirt road I often take to go get strawberries. It sits in the driveway when EJ and friend drive up...they say they have been antiquing... in an older Cadillac.

Explain the history and he asks to hear the car run. Start it up. Both sit in it. He climbs out and says will you accept $nnnn cash. Still haven't driven it. I say sure...but only if you take all of the paraphernalia I've accumulated over the years to go with it....car cover, Excellence mags, books, cleaning fluids, etc.

So I ask how he will pay for it and he sits down and starts pealing out $100 bills. I count, sign the title and it is done. Took more time to load the car with stuff than to do the deal. I ask him why the no test ride...he says he can tell more from "reading" the seller than from the test ride. Has 2 Maseratis.

Later he needs a notary signature on the title so I dash up to the DMV and and sign. Then realize he didn't take the last box. He says he'll be back after he puts air in the Caddy's tires...I say I have an air pump and gauge and so he comes back, fills up and then they are off.

Done all wrong per all the selling guidelines (mine included)...but sometimes timing is everything.

EJ, I hope you enjoy it half as much as I did. And don't lose that young lady.

Now my wife wants a new car and is in the Avalon, LaCrosse, etc area. Anyone have experience with either of very recent vintage? Quiet, comfortable, decent mileage (she only drives 5k a year max) and loaded...she only does this once every 10 years. No interest in sportiness.
sounds like a smooth sale Mike
Steve (Morro Bay) - Saturday, 14 May, 2011, at 2:39:11 pm
I don't know who EJ is, but I hope he's in my town the next time I'm trying to sell a car. Sorry to hear that you've sold it, but it sounds like you're happy and that the sale couldn't have gone better. I hope you won't disappear from the boxster enthusiast world anytime soon. Never met you, but have enjoyed your posts and web pages immensely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2011 02:40PM by Steve (Berlin & LA). (view changes)
Re: The selling of my Boxster
Capt Ron - Saturday, 14 May, 2011, at 3:43:50 pm
There are a number of Acura TL's in my family. Everybody happy with them.
jg wnc - Saturday, 14 May, 2011, at 5:10:39 pm
Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. A hassle free transaction is always nice. Hope you will stick around PB and keep your Boxster web site up.

Thanks for all you have done for the Boxster community.
Clarkaddison - Sunday, 15 May, 2011, at 9:08:55 am
Add my name to those who have benefitted from your posts and your website. You have been a valuable asset to the Boxster community and I hope you continue to participate.
I'm saddened...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 15 May, 2011, at 9:36:50 am
... to hear that you sold your Boxster, Mike, but I understand your reasons.
I'll join all of those that thank you for your contributions to our community and wish you stick around.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I too undersand that if you're not using it much, there's not much point in keeping it. Although, this Boxsterholic would find that difficult to do.

I've also appreciated all the input you give and the great information about Boxsters on your website.

Please do stick around. You never know when the BoxsterBug might strick again. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2011 11:22AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Dave In MD - Sunday, 15 May, 2011, at 11:45:36 am
Mike, sad to hear, but who knows what life will bring. You may find a great deal on another Porsche one day, just can't help yourself and come back to the fold. I'd like to echo others and ask you to consider sticking around on the board. You always brought a reasoned view of the world and your posts were a joy to read. You are family here.

All the best!

Dave

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Re: a big DITTO...
SMILIN - Sunday, 15 May, 2011, at 12:08:26 pm
to the other comments congratulating you on a smooth sale, hoping you stick around, and THANKING YOU for your contributions over the years.

regards, doug
Re: The selling of my Boxster, replacement
EdSac - Sunday, 15 May, 2011, at 1:05:11 pm
We sure do like our G37S Infiniti convertible (Like the Boxster/ Boxter, its not Infinity). Easy to drive for the wife with it's automatic and manual options. Full of geegaws, some useful. And sporty like a 1,000 pound heavier Boxster.

[i114.photobucket.com]
MikenOH - Sunday, 15 May, 2011, at 2:35:34 pm
Mike:

Sorry to hear of your of your Boxster sale, but can completely understand the circumstances. Hope your next one hits all the necessary buttons.

Regarding the Avalon, I've never been a fan of Toyota sedans until I had a chance to spend some time in the current generation of the Avalon. I have to say, that if creature comforts, styling and reliability are the major requirements, this very well may be the ticket.

BTW, I hope you'll continue to be a presence on this board, since your postings have provided a wealth of information to us all.
Mike, good luck and thanks
Bobtesa - Monday, 16 May, 2011, at 9:07:29 am
Mike,

You and I are probably about the same age, so I understand your decision and wish you well with whatever you drive in the future and in all of your future endeavors. As other have posted, maybe a Boxster is still in your future somewhere down the road.

I started on this board (ppbb - can I even write that anymore?) in 1997. I don't recall if you were here that early, but I do know that you are one of several very knowledgable owners who have shared information that has been very helpful to me and many others. I peruse the board, but not being mechanically adept, I am only able to offer advice occasionally. So, thank you, and I should add thanks to all the folks who are able to other boarders. Like others, I hope you don't leave the board completely.

Bob

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
To all who have responded
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Monday, 16 May, 2011, at 8:12:06 pm
my thanks and to hope I have helped some and offended few is a good feeling.

So I get off the golf course today after an atrocious round and Jeff calls from up the street and can he bring his '01 Carrera over and can I read his codes. 20 minutes later he has his codes, the factory problem solving flow chart and a recommended source of parts. The classic P1128/1130.

I guess my Porsche involvement isn't quite over.
Re: To all who have responded
MauriceonLongIsland - Tuesday, 17 May, 2011, at 2:03:19 pm
Mike:

Say it ain't so!

I'm fervently hoping that you will somehow end up in a more comfortable Boxster or another Porsche as your input has greatly enhanced my Boxster enjoyment.

Yours has frequently been the voice of measured reason, in diametric opposition to some of the hucksters that sometimes pop up on the message boards, and the service that you have provided to everyone here and on other forums is immeasurable. I'm certain that there is a constant stream of good karma coming your way at all times.

I'm praying for disappearance of the arthritis! cool smiley

Regards, Maurice.
db997S - Monday, 16 May, 2011, at 12:45:08 pm
This may not convince you, but with both my Boxsters ('98 and '02), my wife used to complain about getting in and out (she's young but has a bad hip). I got an '09 997 and the first time she sat in it, she said it was much easier to get in and out of than either of the Boxsters. I'm just saying, before buying a Toyota, you should tire kick a newer 911.

Now, go out and buy a lottery ticket because you have extreme luck.
longislander1 - Monday, 16 May, 2011, at 12:50:30 pm
I, too, want to thank you for all that you contributed to the pool of information on Boxsters. You might want to check out the Hyundai Sonata hybrid. It could save you a few bucks vs. the Toyota or Buick, yet it offers just about all the amenities. The only caveat is that there may not be a Hyundai dealer near you.
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Monday, 16 May, 2011, at 5:48:57 pm
I'm glad the sales process was smooth and like others, hope you continue to maintain your site and provide input here.

BoxsterBob - San Carlos
'99 Boxster - 140k+ miles Ocean Blue/Metro Blue/Savanna Beige
blazon - Monday, 16 May, 2011, at 7:15:36 pm
Mike...

over and above my joining in the thanks for your contributions to the Board I, individually, owe you thanks and apologies for leaning on you at times of (mechanical) stress...
thank you again
Rick (Nashville, TN) - Monday, 16 May, 2011, at 7:29:02 pm
Mike,

When I bought my 928 S4 a few years ago, I strategically hid '150' one-hundred dollar bills in 10 envelopes, then stashed the 10 envelopes in various pockets of a pair of cargo pants I was wearing.

I then took off in a rental car (with the cargo pants on, lol), and drove from Nashville TN to Orange County NY (didn't feel like flying) for a mini-road trip to purchase the car. When I arrived at the seller's home, I test drove the car a bit. The seller had previously e-mailed me a completed PPI document, which I had my Nashville mechanic review.

When I was ready to buy the car, I more or less did the same thing. I retrieved the 15 envelopes from the various pockets of my cargo pants, lol, and started pulling out the 150 one-hundred dollar bills. Yes, if you're counting, I paid $15K (in 2007) for an '88 S4 with 62k miles on it. The seller didn't want a check, said he prefered cash.

Anyway, I've always enjoyed reading your posts on the Boxster Board(s). Sorry to see your Boxster S go. Hopefully you will stick around here. Maybe even return in another Pcar.

Regards,

Rick

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2011 07:39PM by Rick J (Nashville, TN). (view changes)
Many thanks Mike for your valued contribution to all the Porsche sites, both in the US and the UK.
My wife is in the same situation as yours and sometimes you have to correspond to the fact that we are all getting a little older and plans change....
The very best of luck in the future.
Jules - Sunday, 22 May, 2011, at 10:35:26 am
Hey Mike,
I'm in the same boat - I am contemplating selling my 2000 because I'm having trouble getting in and out - arthritis - I have only 33 Kms on it and it has never been driven in the rain - a real gem. I have one buyer at 25K which is good for a 2000 - albeit still like new. One day I want to sell and the next I don't??? Good luck to you whatever you do and I still have your icon on my desktop - appreciated all the help and information I got from you over the years. Take care
$25K for a 2000 is a GREAT price! *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 22 May, 2011, at 10:39:19 am
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login