Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Possible water in the tank from previous fill up....Is there anything special I need to do other than stick small hose in tank and try to pump out gas tank?
For example, are there any screens or obstructions that will prevent a small tube from going into the tank or anything that will be damaged? If not any idea of length of hose needed?
I want to remove/reduce any water before installing new fuel filter.
thinking about attempting.

There is nothing I know of that would prevent a hose from being inserted in the gas tank filler tube and siphoning gas out that way. However, my knowledge is not based on direct experience from trying to do this and succeeding. It is simply not seeing anything in the parts drawings that show any obstruction.

If you have sufficent reason to believe there is water in the tank you have several other options open to you.

Remove the fuel pump and remove the water through this opening that is quite large and enough so so you can see down in the tank. With a siphon hose you can move it around and siphon up the globules of water, along with any trash/debris. The car (tank) has to be higher than the other end of the siphon hose and of course there is the risk of gasoline fumes from the open tank or from the catch can igniting from a static spark or open flame (gas water heater in the garage).

Another way is to leave the fuel filter line disconnected from the filter and routed (maybe with a hose extender) to a catch can and using a fuel pump relay bypass with the ignition key trigger the fuel pump to come on and let it pump out gas along with any water.

Or if the water is not that bad using a gasoline additive that is intended to address water in the gas tank. However, you may find after running a tank of gas through with this additive in the tank you may have to replace the fuel filter again. It might be just a good thing to do regardless of any symptoms suggesting it needs to be done.

My preference is the additive technique. My second would be running the fuel pump to evacuate the tank at least until the water is removed.

My next to last preference would be to try siphon the fuel out along with the water, but you're doing this blind and you do not know if the siphon hose intake end is anywhere near the water or even on the bottom of the tank.

Last way would be to open the tank by removing the fuel pump.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
a comment.....
por911(bc) - Sunday, 15 May, 2011, at 6:31:20 pm
I guess, if it were me, I'd syphon from the pump access port if you have to. There is a pressure vent flap in the feeder hose/line to the tank which is moderately sensitive. You might consider the dry gas route, then techron. I don't like removing all the gas from the tank by the pump, as it will dry surge and prematurely wear out the pump reducing it's service life. In some, I've just removed the tank to clean it out.
regards
To properly get all the gas...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 16 May, 2011, at 9:46:10 am
... out of the tank you should open it up from the main port.
Remove the car's battery and the battery tray.

[i83.photobucket.com]

[i83.photobucket.com]

Disconnect the fuel lines and the electrical connector, loosen the main plastic ring and remove the pump.

[i83.photobucket.com]

[i83.photobucket.com]

Now you can syphon or pump all of the liquid out of the tank.
You'll need to have a new Rubber Gasket to reassemble because the original swells with gas and won't go back in.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: To properly get all the gas...
jwdbox - Monday, 16 May, 2011, at 7:32:58 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)

[i83.photobucket.com]
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Wow Pedro, I did not realize that our Boxsters came with that nifty build in service bay you are standing in winking smileywinking smiley Seriously, thanks for posting the very clear instructions and pictures cool smiley
What occurred and has the car's behavior changed?
Laz - Monday, 16 May, 2011, at 10:41:46 am
I don't know if I could give you good advice once you respond, but others here might.
I believe water in the gas because....When getting down to ~1/2 of tank the car starts sputtering and running rough...Originally thought MAF so have removed twice and cleaned very well using electronic cleaner (never touching wires).
When I fill the tank car runs better until below ~1/2 tank again then runs rough again.
Used a anti-water additive and seems to help a little but still runs rough until refill.
Have a new fuel filter to put on but if it is water/gas, I want to remove water/gas before replacing.
Thanks for all of the help, guidance and pictures!!!!!
Maybe it's a fuel delivery problem.
Laz - Monday, 16 May, 2011, at 11:48:38 am
With the tank emptying there's less fuel in there to "assist" the delivery. Pump, regulator, filter(s,) leak, partial blockage/crimped line, injector issue, tank ventilation? And yes, it could be water becoming reaching a critical proportion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login