Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Motor Mount was toast. Now great.
hub - Sunday, 22 May, 2011, at 3:36:44 pm
First post on PedrosBoard. I bought a 2001 Boxster S 6sp.18" Carrera rims,40kmiles last summer. Part of the deal was to have the car inspected at our Porsche dealership. They said the motor mount was bad but other then that it seemed pretty sound.So I bought the car. The dealer wanted $850 to do mount so I waited and started looking around on the net. I found Pedro's mount and his DYI instructions. I called and Pedro answered. He took his time and answered all my questions. I ordered a 'enthusiast' mount, technotorque2, technobrace,fuel filter,sparkplugs. The DYI instruction were quite accurate and very helpful. I did all the work myself. The original mount was in BAD shape. For less then the dealer wanted to do just the mount I now have a noticeably better toy. Thanks Pedro.
Jack Hubler.
Glad to help Jack, and...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 22 May, 2011, at 6:59:56 pm
... welcome to the Board.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Motor Mount was toast. Now great.
Dwass - Monday, 23 May, 2011, at 3:26:53 am
That's great news! Yeah, Pedro's writeup is awesome. I haven't done my motor mount yet, but it's going to need to be done soon. I'm looking forward to the same success. Congrats on the DIY! smileys with beer
hub - Monday, 23 May, 2011, at 11:10:00 am
Doing the DYI motor mount was a little intimidating at first. I read the complete DYI a couple times before I started and then refered to them as I was going. I raised the car up about 2 full feet in the air on 4 good quality jack stands and layed some old carpet underneath. That turned out to really make it easier and more comfortable. The fuel filter is right there and exposed so its a great time to change it out. I'd say anyone with some basic experience should find it not to bad. The plastic trays underneath had some damage. One of the attaching 'wings' was even broken off. The DYI for repairing the plastic works suprisingly well. If I can offer any insight on how it went for me I'd be happy to share.
Jack.
If by "wings" you mean the small air directors
Laz - Monday, 23 May, 2011, at 11:40:56 am
attached to the rear suspension, you might've noticed a similar pair up front at the trailing edge of the nose's underside, just ahead of the tires. I recommend getting a spare set. They're not expensive and are very easy to change. Note there are different left and right parts.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
hub - Monday, 23 May, 2011, at 7:33:44 pm
I was refering to what Pedro calls the ' undercarriage panels' that go from just in front of the engine to the front of the car. There is one of the panels that has a 4" mounting tab on each side. One of the tabs was broken off. It repaired quite soundly after 'welding' it back on. Jack.
a response....
por911(bc) - Monday, 23 May, 2011, at 11:09:24 pm
I found both the motor mount and trans mounts were gone in our base 01 in the 40k range. They made a huge difference after replacement along with a 997 shifter install. Before the mounts, the drive train felt as if it was sliding around, surprising how bad they were.
regards
ugleeual - Wednesday, 25 May, 2011, at 8:10:50 pm
How hard is it to change the fuel filter?
Replacing the fuel filter is ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 25 May, 2011, at 8:23:49 pm
... easier than replacing the front engine mount.
[www.pedrosgarage.com]
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
hub - Thursday, 26 May, 2011, at 11:51:30 am
Changing the fuel filter is pretty easy. Pedro's DIY is excellent. The hardest part is getting the car safely way up in the air ( 2 full feet ). The fuel filter is right in the center of the car and you need room to get under and work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login