Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I am going to add new top cables to the sales invoice that I started Friday evening.

I have already prepared the order for the Porsche clutch kit for my 2.7L 986.

QUESTION:

-After reading on another forum, I see that there are a lot of other parts that I may be needing, is that true?

The Porsche kit includes: 1) Clutch Disc, 2) Pressure Plate, 3) Throw Out Bearing

Will I also need these parts??? I can't afford to delay the work if more is required.

What about the: Clutch Release Lever, Ball Pin for Clutch Release Lever, Retaining Spring for Clutch Release Lever, Pivot Piece for Clutch Release Lever, Guide Tube, O-Ring for Guide Tube, Transmission Mainshaft Seal, Pilot Bearing, and Pressure Plate Bolts...etc

Worst case scenario, these additional parts probably aren't too expensive... I hope... but if there are some things you think I should add, PLEASE let me know now.

LAST question, for now... I PROMISE!

-I read that the 987 kit could be installed, is it fair to assume it's better? I read it has a tighter grip on the clutch. I haven't read anything about installation issues, so I'm in the dark on that one.

Thanks everyone. Hope you're not too impacted by the recent weather events in your part of the country... Please keep the folks of Missouri in your thoughts.
Unless those parts...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 23 May, 2011, at 8:52:33 am
... are worn or damaged (which is not common) you'll only need the clutch kit.
I'm not sure why you'd want a 987 clutch kit.
It's generally better to stay with OEM.
They are strong and last a long time if the car is driven properly.
I replaced mine at 203,000 miles and it still had some "meat" on it.
But again, be prepared for a new flywheel if the one you have is toast.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks!
Dwass - Monday, 23 May, 2011, at 2:06:22 pm
Ordering now! I feel better about what I'm getting now. Thanks, Pedro.
clutch hardware exposed.

However, that the clutch disc, the pressure plate, the release/throwout bearing get replaced is a given.

Whether the flywheel gets resurfaced or not depends upon your judgement or that of an experienced tech whether it needs it or not.

However, I almost always (I can't remember a time when I didn't) have the flywheel resurfaced. (I have not yet done a clutch or had the clutch done on any of my Porsches though.)

The flywheel should be checked to make sure the dual mass feature is working properly. There is a test that can be done with the flywheel on the engine that involves seeing how much movement the flywheel has. An experienced tech should know how to do this test and I believe do it as part of a thorough Boxster clutch job. If you're doing the job yourself and you need this info, ask and I'll look it up and post it.

Now for the other items you mentioned, any items actually that are exposed and easily replaced when the clutch is being done are examined and checked for any signs of wear, early failure, etc. I would not advise a wholesale replacement of those items, but do give them a good check and replace any that are questionable.

Lastly, be sure you follow the guidelines (if they call for this) and apply the proper grease and in the proper amount to any clutch linkage pivot points. I always did this when I did a clutch. It was part of a proper job.

When I had my 02 Boxster in for its RMS I mentioned the clutch's action felt a bit heavy and would the tech when he had the tranny out treat the various points what was deemed appropriate lube to see if this would improve the clutch's feel. I didn't have any info if there were any of these points that should get treated to some grease or other lube, I just wanted this done if it was appropriate to be done. One wants these lubed if the manual calls for it, but lubing points that are not supposed to be lubed is just as bad, maybe worse.

Anyhow, the service manager said he'd pass my request on to the tech. Based on the way the clutch felt afterwards something was done. Now the RMS R&R job occurred around 25K miles, way back in '02. That same clutch is still going strong (along with all the other related hardware) 9 years later and with the total miles now nearly 242K.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login