Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Fitting new tires
Roger987 - Friday, 27 May, 2011, at 12:40:09 pm
Don't think I've seen this question posted before.

Will two 235 width Boxster tires fit (not mounted) fit in the passenger seat of a 987, and leave room for me to shift gears?

I'm en route to BRBS (currently in NC, where the temp yesteday was over 30 degrees C. Did you catch the Guenter? - it's toasty!) I may pick up some new PS2's when I cross the border back into Canada,
Re: Fitting new tires
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 27 May, 2011, at 1:41:04 pm
Roger987
Don't think I've seen this question posted before.

Will two 235 width Boxster tires fit (not mounted) fit in the passenger seat of a 987, and leave room for me to shift gears?

I'm en route to BRBS (currently in NC, where the temp yesteday was over 30 degrees C. Did you catch the Guenter? - it's toasty!) I may pick up some new PS2's when I cross the border back into Canada,

Yup. Caught the 30 degrees C. Make sure you get that heater stuck in that position for next week. Love those temps with the top down. A week of that and I might actually get thawed out. cool smiley

Re the tires. I believe you might be able to have them shipped if you're south of the border, you won't have to pay the import duty. I don't think it would be worth the risk of damaging that nice leather interior even if they would fit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2011 01:41PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
the car to protect the seat if I have to put a wheel/tire in the seat or carry a folding bicycle.

Regarding the bike: I no longer take the time to break the bike down (it is a folding model)) to fit it in the front trunk. Besides the front trunk is full of bad parts that have come out of the Boxster of late. I need to empty the trunk...

Sincerely,

MarcW.
I'm not sure about lawn & leaf sized bags, but contractor sized ones might just work, and be less bulky than blankets. Wherever you're getting the new ones from might have tire-specific bags, too. Does the vendor do mounting? How about changing right then and there, leaving the old ones behind?

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
in the trunk. In the Boxster I lay my laptop on one in the rear trunk and in the Turbo I just have one folded up and jammed in to keep a box holding a quart of oil from sliding about.

I do have a couple of the large bags that come with the cars in the toolkit to wrap a tire/wheel in should I need to remove one but the blanket would get used to provide a bit more protection to the interior surfaces if I had to carry the thing in the cabin.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
the poster says it's a 987. Aren't they all spare-less, therefore no tire bag supplied?

Edit: Especially if it's tires only, there are no hard or sharp protrusions to do much of anything to the interior. As far as rub marks, one can just be sure there are no tears already in the bag where it would contact interior surfaces.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2011 04:07PM by Laz. (view changes)
You're right Laz, it's tires only - not wheels. I'd be putting them in heavy-duty bags. I wouldn't regard them nearly as worrisome as, say, standard pocket rivets in a pair of jeans.

From the responses, I guess no one has tried this before. My best guess is two tires will likely fit.

I've been buying tires from Tirerack for years - having them shipped to Maine saves considerably on shipping, taxes and duty. Normally, I'm bringing them home in the wagon though.

From the border, it's about a 4.5 hour freeway drive home.

I've recently found a shop with a Hunter Roadforce balancer - I've become a believer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login