Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Who sells Mobil1 (15W-50) ??
Brasco - Sunday, 29 May, 2011, at 7:40:58 am
Hello I’ve been looking to purchase Mobil1 15W-50 for the passed three weeks without much luck.
For the past five years all the Wal-Marts in upstate N.Y. and New England carried the 5qt. Jugs for a decent price of $28.00. They don’t carry it any longer, and will not even ship from store to store, (new policy).
Auto parts sell the 1 qt. for about $8.00 or equivalent of $40.00 for 5qt.
Has anyone here experienced buying 5qt. Container online somewhere, or know of any retailers in the above region.

Regards
Must be a regional thing ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 29 May, 2011, at 10:33:31 am
... I just purchased four 5-Qt. jugs at my local Wal-Mart yesterday.
Check with a Mobil gas station if you have one nearby.
They may be able to order it for you.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Must be a regional thing ...
Brasco - Sunday, 29 May, 2011, at 12:50:34 pm
Thanks Pedro, I think your right. I just contacted a manager, he said that its mainly sold in the more southern States.
I'm out of luck up here. It is not even available as a special order.
It's no longer available in So Cal
Sheriff John - Wednesday, 1 June, 2011, at 10:47:10 am
For the past few months, wal-mart doesn't have it in this area as well. I was told that it's being discontinued.

I wish they start carrying 0w-40 in large jugs. Put they do have10w-40 in large jugs. What doe you all think about using that weight oil for us "warmer climate" folks?

sJ
Unless you are at the track, its more than good enough
grant - Wednesday, 1 June, 2011, at 10:58:16 am
10w40 will actually be quite a bit thicker than 0w40. A quick glance at the spec sheets confirms this. The Ht/HS spec is also 4.0/3.57.

What about 20w50 Castrol Syntec/Edge?
solenoid and actuator R&R and the passenger side camshaft cover was removed and then the camshafts were removed, I could see the lifter bodies (they were left in place) and the cams (on the bench). I noticed that contrary to what I thought I'd see there were no oil holes at the base of the cam lobes. I spoke to the tech and he told me the cam lobes are lubed by the oil splash from the oil that comes out from around the lifter body/bore gap.

A thick oil may not provide the best lubrication to the camshaft lobes.

The pic shows the cams still in place. Intake is at the top and the exhaust is at the bottom. Note none of the camshaft lobes have any oil hole to lube the lobe to lifter interface. Also note the cast aluminum blades/fingers that rise out of the head below the intake cam lifters. These I'm told help direct more oil onto the exhaust lobes.

You can't see it in this pic, but in another pic with the cams removed, each lifter bore has a notch at its upper and lower edges that appear to provide a path for the oil leaving the lifter body/bore gap to put this oil right where it will do the most good.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
My Honda dealer used 30 weight in my CRX's transmission.
Laz - Wednesday, 1 June, 2011, at 2:35:50 pm
I questioned it, but the mechanic said it allowed for the lubrication to get into all the interfaces better.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
so that's consistent.

Agree thicker is not better. Thicker is only better on wear during incidences of high heat and high pressure.

At most other times it is in fact inferior!

And we never talk about anti-foam, anti-corrosion, moisture and gas by-product contamination, buffering agents (per the previous acids), etc.

Grant
Detergent in oil isn't for every application, e.g.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login