Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Ragtop vs. Porsche top treatment
Bobtesa - Saturday, 4 June, 2011, at 7:24:00 pm
I use the Porsche wash and top protectant every two years. Doing that with my 1999, the top looked like new in 2009 when I sold it. I am about to treat my 2008's top. Folks here have highly recommended Ragtop. Apparently you spray it on with no worries about getting any on other surfaces and it does a fine job. For folks not familiar with the Porsche treatment, you first wash the top with a special Porsche soap (that removes any wax that is on painted surfaces, so re-waxing is required). You then have to cover and tape all surfaces other than the top fabric that will be spayed with the Porsche top treatment product because if spay gets on a painted surface it pretty much can not be removed w/o a belt sander.

So, there is Ragtop - easy to use, and the Porsche treatment which takes a bit of time and effort. My question is, Is there any disadvantage in using Ragtop? Has anyone used it for 10 years or so and seen any deterioration in the quality of the top? Or, put an other way, is there absolutely no advantage in using the Porsche treatment?

Thanks in advance for any input,
Bob

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Re: Ragtop vs. Porsche top treatment *NM*
Wyominguy - Saturday, 4 June, 2011, at 7:59:28 pm
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2011 08:01PM by Wyominguy. (view changes)
Re: Ragtop vs. Porsche top treatment
Wyominguy - Saturday, 4 June, 2011, at 7:59:36 pm
Bob,

I can' speak about the Porsche treatment but I have been using Raggtopp on my 2001 S since I bought it. I typically apply it twice a year when it looks like it does not bead as much when wet. I still have the original top and it looks like new, absolutely no wear anywhere on the top. I do mask the windows and paint with tape and newspaper but it is not required. I apply two coats and let it sit for about 24 hours before moving the car or the top.

Neil

2001 Boxster S
Re: Ragtop vs. Porsche top treatment
nmanitou (Doug in MI) - Sunday, 5 June, 2011, at 10:13:45 am
Bob,
I've used Raggtop since 2004. Usually twice per season application. I love it. The cleaner is easy and effective. The sealer is easy to apply and works. Beads nicely. Bird poop cleans up easily, etc. I usually tape and paper the windows, but if you don't, cleanup from overspray on the windows or paint is easy. I just use a quick detailer spray on the paint for cleanup.

Try it. You'll like it!

Current Love: 2008 RS60; 1st Love: 2001 base, triple black
I know, not what you want to hear, but it is a great product and I have been using it for about 8 years now. I used the Porsche product before that and found the 303 to last longer. While I saw it on the car boards, boaters have always used it as a pretty standard product for canvas.

The big negative is that the sprayer gets all over everything (it is some petroleum distillate I think). I do mask off the window, but then use a large bed sheet to cover everything else - I open the top slightly and slip the sheet around where I need it. Seems to work with just a once a year application in the Spring. Another tip: I use a scrub brush to lightly work it in. Don't know if you really need to do that but I do.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login