Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
It's standard on the R. Without having seen the article yet, could it be important for track driving only, and much less so for even spirited public road use?
We mean on the track.
Mike D. - Wednesday, 8 June, 2011, at 9:21:52 pm
A locking differential is almost never going to matter on the road, unless you drive like a complete and utter maniac. Basically, if you're not spinning your inside tire, you're not going to get much out of a mechanical limited slip diff.
As Jean Shepherd wrote in C and D, anyone driving faster than you is a maniac; anyone slower is an idiot, so the usefulness of a locking differential must be relative.
Wasn't that George Carlin? *NM*
grant - Saturday, 11 June, 2011, at 1:09:18 pm
George carlin was one of the greats.
grant - Tuesday, 14 June, 2011, at 10:12:26 am
I was lucky enough to see him on my very first business trip as a young engineer - to Albuquerque. He was at the university.

he also told the story about being in a hurry and getting behind the .......volvo ..........diesel ..........station wagon.............

driven, of course, by a moron, as opposed to a maniac.

Someday we'll run into each other!

Grant
We have to decide which of us will be which. *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 14 June, 2011, at 10:14:41 am
On the street it makes a difference but as others have already covered not so much if you're not driving like a maniac.

But it can help equalize the tire wear between the two rear tires.

I've driven cars with and without LSD and rear tire wear is noticably more even on those cars with LSD than those without. However, I'm aware what the lack of LSD can do to the rear tires so I take sharp right hand corners a bit easier and uneven tire wear between the two rear tires is not an issue.

However, I do think if I ever have a chance to buy another Boxster or Cayman I will strive to get one with LSD. The local dealer has a build slot for a Cayman R and the tech told me the LSD is a no-brainer option.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
option with the R. The R 'as is' compared to building a Cayman S to R option levels is a less expensive car. I hesitate to say it is a bargain though.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
things. Dealer's been pushing me a bit to consume the last R build slot but I don't think and R is for me cause to spec it like I really want a car would have it more expensive than an S.

Besides, I don't think I want to switch/change cars, even though I had a guy yesterday make a somewhat serious inquiry about buying my Turbo.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
car salesman and the trade-in numbers he gave me for my Turbo suck. They may be market, but they still suck.

I'm not taking a depreciation hit just to move to a new Cayman S no matter how much I want one.

And the numbers are probably low (the guy wouldn't be worthy of the title car salesman if there wasn't some bias in the numbers in his or his employer's favor) but I just don't have the time right now to do an in-depth market analysis of used Turbo prices.

So, I'll have to continue to get by with the Boxster (242K+ miles and which is running as good as ever) and the Turbo (66K+ miles and ditto).

Sincerely,

MarcW.
...because the GT3 got the nod in every category they tested except something called "pucker-factor" (you don't want to know...) which was a wet back-road run. I was definitely scratching my head over the cover blurb...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login