Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Any ideas, seemed like the fan came on kinda weak today-engine smells a bit hot.

50,000 miles

want an idea before I drag it off the Newport Auto Center.....

Thanks.
ace1
Any ideas, seemed like the fan came on kinda weak today-engine smells a bit hot.

50,000 miles

want an idea before I drag it off the Newport Auto Center.....

Thanks.

what?

And by weak fan, which fan are you referring to? The engine compartment fan, the cabin fan, or one or both of the radiator fans?

If the engine compartment fan is not running full speed it may be going bad and as a result the engine compartment will get hotter than normal and the engine will smell a bit 'hot' mainly because the engine compartment temperature is higher than normal. Or the smell may be a bad fan that is running hot itself due to pending bearing failure (or some other kind of mechanical failure) that is causing the fan to experience a much higher load than it would otherwise.

If the engine compartment fan is suspect you can with proper care expose the engine compartment and check the fan visually to see if you can see any signs of it running hot, check the fan blades (be sure the fan *can not* come on!) for any excessive play, that the fan blade assembly spins with little resistence, that the connections look ok and the wiring doesn't look like it is carrying too much current. The fan is fused I believe so it can't be drawing too much extra current or the fuse would have blown, but it might be in a condition where it can draw enough to manifest some symptoms and the fuse has not blown yet. (And without knowing the history of the car you might want to verify the engine compartment fan (if it looks suspicious) had the proper size fuse installed in its slot in the fuse box.)

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Yes, engine compartment fan, sorry. No engine lights though.

Thanks!
so the fan's just sick I guess, not dead.

But you need to get it looked into. Frying engine compartment wiring/hoses is not something you want to do if you can avoid it.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Said not to stress, water pump fine, fan's fine, exhaust fine..... gave her a wash and sent her home. Said if noise gets worse (service manager heard it, but wouldn't duplicate for mechanic) to bring her back. thinks perhaps the exhaust might be starting to demonstrate some wear but nothing but noise....

good news, but wish I knew what was causing the sputter.

bad news, being stuck at the dealer around cars 10 years newer than mine - really like the Cayman, but still drawn to the Boxster, think a Seal Gray S next time around. Can't believe I have had the car 10 years and have been following the board all this time.

Thanks for the help.
heard a 'funny' noise from my Turbo the other day and stopped by the dealer and spoke to the service manager who gave a listen and said the noise sounded normal to him but told me (but a senior tech at the dealership) was in and the door on the other side of the service department was open and just drive the car around there and let the tech give a listen. I did and both the senior tech and another less senior (but still pretty sharp) tech came out and gave a listen and both said the noise was 'normal'.

(I'm getting a bit anxious because the warranty on the Turbo ends the 28th of this month and I'm hearing all sorts of sick engine sounds...)

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login