Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I need to replace the battery in my 2000 Boxster. The car is virtually stock (read 'no big aftermarket amps, etc.') and lives in the reasonably mild central NJ area.

I'm going to have the place I buy it install it, but will NOT take it to the local dealer.

I know that the stock battery has venting, and some of the replacement batteries are vented also.

What is my 'best' choice for a drop-in replacement (ie vented or not, but no plates, adapters, etc.) from the major players in my area? I've got Walmart, NTB, Pep Boys, Autozone, etc.

I want no fuss, no muss, no nothing. Turn key start car, drive. Remember that there is a battery X years from now when I need a new one.

thoughts?

Thanks.

Andrew
Mike Focke has a great battery page here: [sites.google.com]

Including the brands carried by most of the places you mentioned. I used the Interstate from a local auto parts store. They're really pretty easy to change.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Just called my local Pep Boys - they are getting a 48-690B from one of their other stores $99.99 +$15 install. Of course now I need to have AAA come by and jump start the car to get me there.

Will Pep Boys put a trickle charger in the cig lighter so that I don't lose radio codes and window programming (yeah, the windows are no big deal)? I've only used them for wax and cleaner and stuff.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

By the way, Pep Boys is apparently transitioning away from the Bosch batteries.

Are the Bosch sealed/maintenance free, or am I supposed to do something with them every so often?

Andrew
The Bosch batteries...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 14 June, 2011, at 9:35:51 am
... (white version) are exactly the same as the Moll OEM batteries.
They are both made by the same manufacturer.
Once you install it you don't need to worry about them.
Check the electrolyte level a couple of times per year and top off with distilled water if necessary.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I use and recommend the Bosch (white) battery available at PepBoys.
There are two sizes and both fit the battery tray.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

1998 Boxster 986 - 200,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I have the Autozone - top model
JM-Stamford,CT - Monday, 13 June, 2011, at 11:27:52 pm
no problems - direct replacement.
I am cheap!! Walmart max everstart with 3 years free replacement (no question ask) $85
If it breaks before every 3 years, I can have free battery forever hot smiley
I called Walmart and requested a MAXX H-6 which is supposedly the correct battery; They told me I had to go with a 94R which is $105 plus. I don't really care about the $20, I care that I'm getting different opinions.

Did you get the MAXX H-6?
yes, I believe so. it is a direct fit even it has the vented tube.

Tony
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login