Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
One of the most creative car reviews I've read (Cayman R)
db997S - Friday, 17 June, 2011, at 10:25:48 am
This from yesterday's Global and Mail, north of the boarder: Cayman R
Great writeup. Goes right along with the Porsche peacock story.

Life really does seem to center around those cupholders here in North America.

I imagine that our 987 cupholders probably would swing around with a heavy cup of Joe in them in a tight curve. On the other hand, drinking a cup of coffee wouldn't even be on my mind while dancing around 226A in the CURVEN8R.
This is just too funny. The author writes: "....Porsche cup holders force a coffee cup to travel through an exaggerated arc of motion as the car pitches and rolls."

Actually, I had the same problem the first few days I had my new Boxster. It was really annoying how the cup-holder wouldn't stay put. I was thinking to myself, "How could they possibly have made the arm so loose as to allow it to swing to and fro with each cornering maneuver?"

Then I closed the cup-holder door. Doh.

If you look at the photograph of the cup-holders in the piece, the mirror is painted a shade of pink or magenta, but clearly that is NOT the green of the writer's loaner Cayman. Hence, he did not take that picture with the cup-holder compartment door closed. I bet that in his car, the door wasn't...
let's hope he isn't the Globe and Mail's Automotive writer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2011 10:47PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
It was fun to watch it do that while the liquid would stay level relative to the rim of the container. There were two problems though: As there wasn't a good place to install it other than on top of the dashboard, only small cups could clear the raked windshield. Also, sharp bumps would make the cup go flying anyway as the platform is shallow. One of these years I might experiment with Sorbothane to try to achieve better isolation without impairing the clearance. I wanted to put a link to the device here but can't find the it anywhere on line and don't recall the product name.

I rarely used my 01 Boxster's holders and took them out after a drink wrecked the HVAC display. (I successfully argued to the dealer that it was a design flaw evidenced by the later "improved" design so they covered the new HVAC.) With the holders gone I was able to put in a much needed binnacle at the bottom, and bought an "Ultimate Cupholder" mounted on the passenger side of the center console.

[www.ultimatecupholders.com]

Hey, my Alfa Spiders didn't even have driver's side armrests. Both hands on the wheel, pal!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2011 01:29PM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login