Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Hi fellow Boxsterer's,

Wondering if there is anyone in the SE Ohio region who can give me a what's what to good roads in the Akron/Canton region, heading south to Marietta?

I am headed off for a motorcycle trip with a friend on our VFR's.

Plan A is to go to see Lake Placid in NY, and visit Ben and Jerry's in VT, but it looks wet for this weekend.

Plan B is maybe the Marietta Region of Ohio. Intellicast gives a lower POP for Thurs-Sunday. I hear there are some nice roads down there..... Plan B would be to trailer to the Akron/Canton airport, park the SUV and trailer there for 3 days, and then motorcycle through the hills of SE Ohio?

Any recommended sites/ roads in that part of the US? The Twistier the better, scenic is good too. Both Scenic and twisty would be awesome.

Thanks,
Peter
2001 Box S
Don't know about OH, but if it were me, I'd go deep into WV. Centeral WV is unfreakin believable. Same with Southern--twisty and secenic. Not sure if you are looking for day trips from a centralized spot in OH, or if you plan on stopping at motels along the route to circle back to your SUV/Trailer. You can take 50 due east from Parkersburg, WV, for about 60 to 80 miles to 119/250 south/east. This will take past Elkins, WV, and down to Snowshoe, which is a ski resort. That'll bring you donw to I-64 and back up towards Charleston, WV, right along the New River, which is pretty famous for white water rafting. WV is the butt of all jokes, but it is some of the prettiest scenery along the eastern US. I'd suggest checking out a map and seeing all the scenic and twisty roadways in the state.
I'm coming from Waterloo, Ontario Canada.

Figure we would leave in the morning slab with the SUV/ Trailer at least 5-6hrs, which should get us to Akron/Canton area. Ditch the 'support vehicle', load up on the bikes and then head South. Just wondering if county roads start getting twisty South of Canton.

1st night (Thurs), Marietta or a bit further south
Tour around Friday, Saturday, then head back North towards Marietta or thereabouts for Sat. Night.
Sunday morning, head back to Akron/Canton to pick up SUV/Trailer and head back home via Buffalo.

Peter

(Destinations to depend on weather for those days.... I hate riding in the rain, especially unfamiliar roads.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2011 11:11AM by Petee_C. (view changes)
Marietta is close to the WV state line, that's why I was suggesting going into WV instead of OH. I've been to the Southwestern part of WV in my Boxster and found some roads that almost made me car sick they were so twisty and empty. Eventually, had to slow it down or mess up my interior pretty badly. Unfortunately, that part of the state is probably too far from Marietta, OH, for your trip.
Let me check around--
MikenOH - Monday, 20 June, 2011, at 12:11:22 pm
C&D, Automobile or WR had a piece on a certain stretch of road in OH that had lots of curves; I'm thinking south of Canton and west of Wheeling WVn north of I-70.
Here is one--
MikenOH - Monday, 20 June, 2011, at 12:17:07 pm
[www.motorcycleroads.com]

The one I'm thinking of is due north of this, above I-70 just east of Zanesville.
Here you go--
MikenOH - Monday, 20 June, 2011, at 1:30:15 pm
Ohio Rt. 78 and OH 26. Nice.. check out the video on both..

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login