Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Help with 97 Boxster top. - it's stuck!11
sealluke - Saturday, 25 June, 2011, at 9:23:28 pm
Hello, I am new and I met a few of you at the Swiss Inn in Little Switzerland, NC a few weeks ago. I live down the road in Boone and work in Spruce Pine. I have a problem with a newly purchased 97 Boxster. The top is stuck in the down position and will not raise up. I looked at the owners manual for emergency operation and I unsnapped those ball joints/push rods - 2 on both sides but when I go to lift the rear spoiler that the top tucks under it won't come up like the owner manual illustration shows. The motor assembly at the rear of the compartment seems to be locked and is holding it down, I tried to gain access to it but it's too tight to get to. If I can figure out how to get it released then I'll be ok.
After searching further into forums I read stuff about the switches going bad. Well here's what I got: I can operate the windows up and down, when rolled up and I press the center locking switch the windows both roll down a few inches for top down operation. The top dash light stays on. The emergency brake light does light up on the dash when emergency when the brake is pulled up/applied. The console top down switch will not operate in either top down/top up mode. I am stuck in the down position. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could try? I know things could be worse but there's got to be something that I am missing. I can also send pics if needed to tell my story better....

Thanks for any ideas and your time....

1997 Silver Porsche Boxster/black top
Re: Help with 97 Boxster top. - it's stuck!11
sealluke - Sunday, 26 June, 2011, at 11:43:43 am
Forgot to mention that all of the fuses checked out ok - so no power issues are pending...
lacleven - Sunday, 26 June, 2011, at 12:37:04 pm
I suspect it is related with your emergency brake.. and with emergency brake light not going on. But others on the board are more experienced than I and should be able to recommend how to fix
sealluke - Sunday, 26 June, 2011, at 2:30:24 pm
Hey great to hear from you, I mentioned above that: "The emergency brake light does light up on the dash when the emergency the brake is pulled up/applied." So I don't think that would stop it from working. If the emergency brake wasn't applied (in the down position) then it won't light up the dash and would stop the procedure. In the emergency "top up procedure" the owners manual leaves me a little lost when they tell you to unseat the two ball joints/push rods and then Grasp convert able-top compartment cover by the center of the back edge and set up completely. Under the convert able-top compartment cover the car clearly has a motor assembly at the rear of the compartment that clips the spoiler down. If I could figure out how to to release tension by cable or ? then I could un-clip it then I'd be OK.

Thanks for your help - I am just being patient so I don't mess/bend something up...

LT
It still could be the windshield microswitch
Boxsterra - Sunday, 26 June, 2011, at 2:00:41 pm
Try holding the top button in the close position and pressing the windshield microswitch all the way in and then releasing it. There are two switches in there. Just because the windows dip doesn't mean that both switches are working.

When you push the button do you hear any sound? If you hear the relay click then the problem is with the mechanicals and not the electricity. It's possible but unlikely that the relay is bad.
Re: It still could be the windshield microswitch
sealluke - Sunday, 26 June, 2011, at 3:35:57 pm
Hey thanks Boxsterra, When I turn the key all the way on (not starting or running) and I hold the dash convertable switch on either open or close and while doing that I push in and out the windshield microswitch all the way in and then releasing it - I can hear a click in the rear behind the seat. I also hear the same click while I hold convertable switch in and up the emergency brake. I get the impression that those switches are communicating. So the problems is in the mechanicals is there any kind of cable or slide to make the convertable-top compartment cover come loose? What would you try?
Here's a better current description of what I notice: The convertable-top compartment cover won't pull up from the rear - I also notice that the convertable-top compartment cover is a little close on the front side (pointed ends - both sides near the seat belt area) like its pushed forward a few millimeters but not scraping the firewall paint. I try to stand behind the seats and push/slide the cover back - won't move. I've tried to stand behind the rear bumper and pull the cover back - won't move. Somethings got it locked and jammed. In the trunk underneath the 3rd brake light fire wall I was looking for the motor assembly at the rear of the compartment bolts but there is a box on the trunk side of the firewall. I thought I could unbolt the motor assembly to release the hold on the convertable-top compartment cover.
sealluke - Sunday, 26 June, 2011, at 5:16:04 pm
Big time update!!! Here we GO!!!!
I found these clip pin holders holding the FOLDING TOP PUSH ROD (part# 98656157900) one on both sides. After releasing these "BAM" all the tension was gone and I was in. No noticeable damage. I wonder why these hydraulic FOLDING TOP PUSH ROD's were extended holding tension? I think I can reassemble these parts but the timing of the transmission might need to be adjusted slightly. I played with the buttons/switches and they all work and the transmission spins around in circles on both sides. If all fails I can - I guess go with the manual top operation like the Miata days of the past. Here I go.... Be back soon with an update... smiling smiley

Here's a diagram:

[www.autoatlanta.com]

sealluke - Sunday, 26 June, 2011, at 7:18:15 pm
Case Closed I fixed it!!! Porsche Boxster FIXED!!! smiling smiley
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Congrats
Boxsterra - Sunday, 26 June, 2011, at 9:54:04 pm
Fixing stuff is fun.

If you had taken it to the dealer, they would likely have charged you hundreds of $. So as a bonus, you saved a chunk of change.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login