Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
In last Friday's Wall Street Journal, there was a piece (sorry, no link) on states turning to vanity plates to raise money. Not, by raising annual fees, but through auctions. A Dallas Doctor paid $7,500 for a plate with PORSCHE on it. He also paid $3,000 for a plate AMERICA (becoming a citizen next month). He tried for one with FERRARI, but that bidding got up to $15,000, so he dropped out. According to the article, in all, Texas auctioned 33 plates and raised a whopping $139,400 (or more than $4,200 per plate).

I guess this is common overseas. A rich dude in Abu Dhabi reportedly brought a plate there with nothing more than a "1" on it for, wait for it, $14.3 million. Another dude in England brought one with his intials "1 RH" for $400,000.

So, I guess those Texas plates are bargins.
countries as well.

In the UK desirable plates sell for in some cases thousands of Pounds and not all buyers are the super rich. I have read reports of car buyers buying in one case a nice 964 and spending hundreds of Pounds on a desirable plate. I do not recall the plate's number scheme but I read in the article the car/plate buyer's co-worker referred to him as a 'tart' for the vanity purchase.

Anyhow, I see nothing wrong with the state auctioning off vanity plates to the highest bidder as long as it is one plate per car. I would not agree to auction off a block or set of vanity plates to a buyer engaging in speculation.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
in switzerland your license plate stays with you from car to car so if you have a really low number, that means that you've been there a long time (and that you're old winking smiley )
low numbers are highly sought after which is exactly the opposite of in the UK where the newest numbers are sought after since they show that the car is new.
when i bought the boxster, i paid a little bit more to get plates that numbers that looked maybe 20 years old or so. 4 digit plates go for a few thousand and 3 digit plates can go for tens of thousands. it would be nice to have 986 or 987 on your boxster. i wanted to get 98632 (3.2 motor) but it started bidding at about 300 bucks IIRC and didn't feel that it was worth it.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login