Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
B&M Short Shift Kit
Roger987 - Wednesday, 29 June, 2011, at 4:07:05 pm
After reading Guenter's glowing review of his new shifter (and knowing Guenter doesn't upgrade lightly), I've ordered the kit from Eric (BumperPlugs) online and received the $25 BRBS discount right away.

As I don't have access to an independent tech, I'll have a go at installing the kit myself. I note that the B&M installation instructions (googled them) call for the destruction of a couple bushing clips. I wonder if there's a way around that, to allow for the easy re-install of the factory shifter, should I ever want to.
I don't think there is a way
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 29 June, 2011, at 4:26:40 pm
I've tried getting those bushings out without destroying them. It would require some sort of tool that can push on about 15 different clips at the same time. I'm sure it's possible with the right tool but I've never seen it.
Re: I don't think there is a way
Dave In MD - Wednesday, 29 June, 2011, at 6:32:19 pm
I had the same thought when I bought mine. Couldn't figure out a way either so I just did as the instructions said. Figured I could always find a used assembly from one of the dismantlers if I had to. That was a couple of years ago. Now that I have it I love it and I'd never go back!

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Re: B&M Short Shift Kit
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 29 June, 2011, at 6:30:34 pm
Roger987
After reading Guenter's glowing review of his new shifter (and knowing Guenter doesn't upgrade lightly), I've ordered the kit from Eric (BumperPlugs) online and received the $25 BRBS discount right away.

As I don't have access to an independent tech, I'll have a go at installing the kit myself. I note that the B&M installation instructions (googled them) call for the destruction of a couple bushing clips. I wonder if there's a way around that, to allow for the easy re-install of the factory shifter, should I ever want to.

I agree with what Boxsterra said. I watched my mechanic install the kit and think it would be pretty difficult to save those bushing clips. It's kind of a mute point. I know once you get the SS kit installed, the original will just collect dust somewhere. smiling smiley

The instructions seem pretty clear. You just have to make sure you follow the ones for the 987, as they also have instructions for the 986, 996 and 997 as well, so sometimes you have to skip forward a couple of pages.

I couple of things I noticed that might help.

My mechanic used a plasting tool to get under the front of the shifter boot to pop it off. That might help to keep the console from getting marked up.

Make sure that you mark the position where the shifter cables are attached with a magic marker to make sure they're properly alligned when you put the new shifter in.

Make sure that you have a full tank of gas before you start the install. You're gonna want to thoroughly test that shifter when you're done. winking smiley hot smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Re: B&M Short Shift Kit
Roger987 - Wednesday, 29 June, 2011, at 7:33:36 pm
Thanks for the tips, guys.

Once I have the kit in hand, there's a good chance I'll send you a PM or two while I mentally do a dry-run of the install.

Of course, if I were smart, I'd not install it until AFTER next year's BRBS, as I'd then have an excuse if I can't keep up with the CURVEN8R. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2011 07:51PM by Roger987. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login