Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
"POP" and no more topconfused smiley
carlos in Montreal - Friday, 1 July, 2011, at 10:34:46 pm
While lowering the top down today I heard a loud "POP" and the soft top stopped moving, but the solid part kept moving to it's normal position, I was able to move the soft top back and forth (in the tucked in position and all the way up in the locked position by hand (like a Miata sad smiley) but not with the motor.

Any ideas what it could be?
Cable from motor to transmission?

If so how hard for a DIY?

Thanks
I do know (recollect) you are not the first person to experience this and the subjectd has been covered here more than once. IIRC Maurice from Long Island (can't recall his online name) has helped others in this top mess so a search of the message archives should turn up something you'd find helpful.

Also, give Pedro's Garage site a look/see for any busted top DIYs and Mike Focke's pages as well. You might find a link to Mike's pages at Pedro's Garage site.

Oh, IIRC if you try to open/close the top or you can bend the clamshell. There's a way to disconnect the top in such a way that it can be raised to secure the car and protect its cabin from the elements, but until you have the top fixed lay off the top open/close button.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
[forums.pelicanparts.com]

Not by Maurice but it may be of some help anyway.

In one of the posts there's a link to some more info but I didn't follow the link to see what info it offered. I figured since your at the car and have the car in front of you you'd be the best person to determine what's helpful and what's not.

Good luck with the top repair.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Had that happen to me...
Keith in AZ - Sunday, 3 July, 2011, at 7:26:54 pm
Evidently there's a plastic connector on each side that links a couple of things together. I forgot if it's on the end of the pistons that help lift the top or on the drive cable for the top. Simple fix if I recall. mine was done under warranty so I didn't mess with it. The dealer should know exactly what is going on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login