Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
MAF question
marty - Tuesday, 5 July, 2011, at 9:12:31 am
After having a problem with my Box' refusing to rev to the red line, I followed the excellent advice of you guys, cleaned the MAF sensor and disconnected the battery to re-calibrate it.

Things have worked fine till recently. Once the motor is almost up to normal temp. it sometimes idles erratically, sometimes stalling. It re-starts OK and doesn't do it again.

As I don't like stalling at road junctions....... I have ordered a new Bosch sensor (part number 0 280 217 007 from the existing one).

Does this sound like a typical MAF symptom?

Marty (UK) 1999 Boxster 2.5 manual
You may have...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 5 July, 2011, at 9:18:21 am
... a dirty idle control valve or a small air leak (most likely by the rubber fittings into the intake plenums).
The idle control valve is easy to clean: [www.pedrosgarage.com]
Regarding the rubber fittings, make sure they are seated properly.
Many times the bottom edge may not be all the way over the intake plenum thus allowing fo a small amount of air to leak in).
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: MAF question
marty - Friday, 15 July, 2011, at 6:00:14 am
When I replaced the MAF sensor I checked all the rubber was tight (i striped cleaned the throttle and idle valve last summer), fitted the new Bosch MAF - and crossed my fingers!

So far, one week on the intermittent rough idle problem has gone and the car revs out cleanly. So I feel it was money well spent.

Had a good blast out in the country to go paragliding yesterday. Top down, sunglasses on.... Ah! didn't feel like Britain!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login