Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Really great editorial about Gas Tax
Red_Lightnin! - Wednesday, 6 July, 2011, at 1:42:54 pm
Saw this on TTAC today - really thoughtful and well written.

TTAC Gas Tax Editorial

1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
Dilithium Crystal Supercharger
Re: Really great editorial about Gas Tax
db997S - Wednesday, 6 July, 2011, at 2:35:07 pm
Um, beg to differ. Maybe FDR and LBJ would agree with you. Taxes are not the answer to all. Heck, look at Greece and the riots in the streets because the government there once again increased taxes to pay for their debt. Higher gas tax will have a negative ripple effect throughout the greater economy. Higher gas prices will increase just about everything we use in this country, including the essentials such as food and clothing. Millions of people are already living paycheck to paycheck, see the outcry when they can't feed and cloth their kids. The natural increase in gas prices over the past year have already hindered things here. People spend less, which means fewer jobs and, yes, less taxes collected (not only sales taxes but even wage/social security taxes due to fewer employed people due to the less spending).

In addition, I seriously doubt that an increase in the gas tax would have prevented that bridge collapse. Upkeep is such a low priority because building is much sexier due to the greater impact on the overall economy. More money will not equate into more upkeep. More money just simply means even more spending, but at some multiple much higher than what is collected. That's scenario will someday make us the next Greece.
Red_Lightnin! - Wednesday, 6 July, 2011, at 3:19:25 pm
Not a huge fan of taxes either, but I think it is an interesting editorial, and to the extent that reducing vehicle pollution is a priority (which it may or may not be, but let's assume it is) it is a much better solution than all of the stupid environmental jerrymandering that has been imposed on the auto industry, such as CAFE, ridiculously stringent emissions requirements, ethanol subsidies and now subsidizing "pet" technologies, such as Hybrids (which I and many others argue are actually worse for the environment) and the Chevy Volt, the first car that runs on coal! (Ask me how!)

It is a very efficient market mechanism for assigning the costs of resource use (burning petroleum), pollution, and road use (since gas-guzzling vehicles are usually heavier, they usually do more damage to roads) to those who are the consumers. I would be one of those who would pay a lot more given my love of driving, but don't really mind since it is my choice to do so. I prefer this much more than the current approach of trying to "legislate technology" in or out or the "rationing" approach that I got to enjoy with my home electricity when I lived in California.

Just my opinions, of course. And, obviously, I am in the vast minority. I just thought it was really well written and a well-framed argument that spoke to some things I agree with. Just thought it was a worthwhile discussion for a car board.

1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
db997S - Wednesday, 6 July, 2011, at 3:32:14 pm
In the US, I don't think gas taxes will do anything to sway folks from driving those big a$$ gas guzzlers. We like big in this country and too many people have become accustom to them. Plus, they can't sell them. Also, there are enough people with enough disposable income that they will still buy the low gas mileage SUVs and cars.

Unfortunately, you need to regulate them out. Not sure if emmission restrictions are the way to go. Simply raising overall mpg requirements via regulation (gulp, hate to say that word, too) is really the only way that is going to do it in the US.

Another side effect of higher gases, at least hear in DC, are that I'm seeing more "scooters" on the road. While this is fine within city limits where the speed limit is 25 mph, they are riding around on suburban streets without plates and unable to go the posted 45 MPH speed limits on some of the main artieries. Talk about dangerous. I nearly hit one in the center lane of a six-lane (3 ea side) road with the limit of 45 mph. He was going maybe 30. Here, you can drive an unregistered (meaning no motorcycle lisc, needed, either) scooter if it doesn't go faster than 35 MPH. Once it goes faster, you need to classify it the same as a motorcycle.
Red_Lightnin! - Wednesday, 6 July, 2011, at 7:30:34 pm
I'm in DC too. Where you at? We should grab lunch. You do any PCA stuff?

1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
old timer - Wednesday, 6 July, 2011, at 8:39:26 pm
The primary thrust of the editorial is false. The bridge collapse was caused by a design error not lack of maintenance. A gusset plate that was 1/2 inch thick should have been 1 inch thick. That combined with temporary loading that took place during the resurfacing operations caused the bridge to come down.

The FODT and state DOT's seldom run out of money and when they do it's usually due to misplaced priorities not a lack of revenue though every department of every government agency always wants to get bigger.
20BoxSter02 - Thursday, 7 July, 2011, at 5:48:44 am
Anyone else ever notice how many road maintenance personnel are standing around when you drive by? If we are passing by at random, we should see 1 out of 6 on a break (assuming they get 10 minutes every hour.) More often when I come up on a maintenance crew, it seems that 1 out of the 6 is doing actual work while the others stand around watching (supervising?) Maybe the roads would improve if we got what we are paying for in the first place. <\RANT off>
If you know anyone in the venture capital business, they will tell you there are gizzilions of dollars sitting on the sidelines waiting to be invested in innovation. Did you ever wonder why there are not tons of money pouring into developing alternatives to the gas engine? Because the Arabs will simply lower their price for a barrel and choke off any alternative. The cost to put a barrel of oil onto the world markets is stupidly low and not reflective of the price we pay.

So.... I support a gas price floor. The feds say....$4.00 a gallon is the target price and then support that with a floating tax. Sit back and watch what happens. Huge money will pour into alternative systems because the performance parity is $4.00. Gas prices most likely will not jump much higher than that either as the tax "cushion" will absorb some flux and smooth out some of the supply/demand jerks. Car companies can now better plan and make what people desire and not get caught with a wide swing either way.

Not the free market but.............
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login