Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
The new 7 speed shift pattern
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 6 July, 2011, at 11:09:50 pm
This for the new 991.

[www.autobild.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2011 11:10PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Re: The new 7 speed shift pattern
Roger987 - Wednesday, 6 July, 2011, at 11:35:21 pm
Looks as though it makes sense. A lot of rowing, but then again, the ratios would be reasonably close, and the 'just right' gear should always be at hand. Sometimes when overtaking another car at around 60 mph, I wish I had a gear in between 2nd and 3rd. Managed to bump the rev limiter the other day, which tends to slow down acceleration a bit...
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 7 July, 2011, at 8:32:26 am
Roger987
Looks as though it makes sense. A lot of rowing, but then again, the ratios would be reasonably close, and the 'just right' gear should always be at hand. Sometimes when overtaking another car at around 60 mph, I wish I had a gear in between 2nd and 3rd. Managed to bump the rev limiter the other day, which tends to slow down acceleration a bit...

I find either 5 or 6 speeds is plenty. I guess it depends on how they space the gears. Sounds like the 7 speed is more fuel economy driven than performance to improve mileage for test cycles. But, who drives a Porsche for fuel economy???????????

I agree about the rev limiter. Hit it an it does slow you down. It always feels great to shift JUST BEFORE you hit it. Still, as Pedro says, he'd rather see a car that's hti the rev limiter from time to time than one that hasn't. These engine really are designed to be driven - not lugged around. They've got Priuses for that..

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
boxsterd - Thursday, 7 July, 2011, at 12:45:45 am
I don't get it. I've never wanted more than 5 speeds. I think I would find 7 speeds annoying and tiresome. Is this just marketing? I'm guessing 75% of buyers will get the dual-clutch any way and Porsche is using the 7 speed manual for marketing to try to market the 991 as "high tech".
Not sure why they put R on the left
Boxsterra - Thursday, 7 July, 2011, at 12:50:50 am
and not back and to the right, under 7.
Re: Not sure why they put R on the left
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 7 July, 2011, at 8:38:49 am
Boxsterra
and not back and to the right, under 7.

The only reason that I can think of having R next to first would be less distance to go from R to 1st, like when you're backing out of a driveway or parking spot. Next gear you want is 1st.

Still. 7 seems like overkill.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
On the 5-speeds they are already far apart
Boxsterra - Thursday, 7 July, 2011, at 12:21:33 pm
My opinion is that it's more important to reduce the number of gates in the left-right direction than have 1st and R next to each other. People benefit from the former all the time whereas the latter is rare.
so you don't go into R @ 250 KPH? winking smiley
frogster - Thursday, 7 July, 2011, at 4:56:52 pm
one of my complaints about my MY2000 986 was that 2nd gear was too high. coming out of a tight turn on a winding alpine road was often too fast for 1st and too slow for 2nd. wonder what this would be like. in any case, i would get a PDK without any hesitation. have you driven one yet guenter?

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
I'd be worried about under-revving. winking smiley

frogster
one of my complaints about my MY2000 986 was that 2nd gear was too high. coming out of a tight turn on a winding alpine road was often too fast for 1st and too slow for 2nd. wonder what this would be like. in any case, i would get a PDK without any hesitation. have you driven one yet guenter?

No. I haven't driven one. I don't think it's available with a short shift yet.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
so some of the PDK transmission parts can be lighter.

My guess is the 7-speed manual came about for the same reason the PDK came out with 7 speeds and that is to 'game' the EU drive cycle that is used to certify a car's CO2 and fuel consumption numbers.

I would not be surprised if when the new cars arrive with 7-speed manuals they also come with some sort of a shift light. The idea is that the drivers in the EU drive cycle test have to follow the shift guidelines so the shift light timing will have the EU test driver upshifting uickly at very low rpms with the result the car delivers better CO2/MPG numbers than it would otherwise.

An owner/driver of one these 7-speed manual equipped cars can of course elect to shift whenever and at whatever rpm he wants. Also, he can elect to skip gears. I sometimes skip shift my Boxster or my Turbo but frankly both shift so sweetly that shifting into each gear is a pleasure and a joy.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sort of like the 901 transmission with 2nd through 5th in the H, with 1st and R out and to the left. Unless you're somehow trying to rock the car out of snow, Reverse doesn't have to be the most handy. 7th is a "leisurely" gear; it's not like you're gonna be in a hurry to get a cog with negligible acceleration. Swinging wide for Reverse and 7th isn't going to matter much. Whew, now I don't have to worry about this when I order my anticipated 2012 Cayman S! I still wonder how tight the gating will be and if it will essentially have a short shifter feel for 1st through 6th.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Re: The new 7 speed shift pattern - It could be
MartinJF - Thursday, 7 July, 2011, at 4:48:25 pm
a drive by wire system for the PDK!

How about that for reuse.

Have Fun in your Pcar - Martin
if you magnify the picture, there are many things that arouse my suspicion;
  • the horizontal line to the 7 is lower than the rest of the line.
  • the 7 itself looks lower
  • it also looks different than the other numbers
i call foul.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
When you zoom in on the pattern, it does look as thought it could be photoshopped. Time will tell.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2011 09:16PM by Laz. (view changes)
Here you go.

The seventh generation of the Porsche 911 is coming - and it brings with it a technology revolution: As the world's first production car, the sports car will be equipped with a seven-speed manual transmission are standard. The unusual shift pattern with five gates, the seventh gear is located right above.
Ich danke Ihnen
Laz - Friday, 8 July, 2011, at 9:22:09 am
I wanted to see if the text clarified whether the photo was conjecture or not. This part of the translation confuses me, though: "As the world's first production car, the sports car..." I take it to mean the first production car to have a 7-speed manual transmission.

Re: Ich danke Ihnen
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 8 July, 2011, at 10:03:41 am
Laz
I wanted to see if the text clarified whether the photo was conjecture or not. This part of the translation confuses me, though: "As the world's first production car, the sports car..." I take it to mean the first production car to have a 7-speed manual transmission.

I believe that it what it means, that the 911 is the first production car with a 7 speed manual.
Merci. *NM*
Laz - Friday, 8 July, 2011, at 10:06:55 am
patrick - Friday, 8 July, 2011, at 12:54:47 pm
Other German manufacturers and some Japanese have been upping the gears in their transmissions from 5 to six is now standard in German automatics and up to 7 (Mercedes) and 8 gears (Lexus) to help meet higher fleet fuel requirements in the US and elsewhere.
When I had a 5 speed 914 I would occasionally miss a downshift in that crazy shift pattern. I would miss shift 5th into 2nd instead of 4th. I can only see this as creating an opportunity to over rev a motor on an improper downshift with that large number of gates. It would seem to me that you could easily get lost in that pattern. My 914 had 3 gates this new one supposedly has five with gears 1, 3,5 and 7 next to each other!
Forget letting a valet or somebody unfamiliar with that pattern drive your car. I hope electronic measures are put in place to defeat a catastrophic over rev. I remember a few folks did that to their Boxsters and destroyed the motor.
Perhaps a solid shift gate with slots like they use(d) on Ferraris would help.
Overrevving, valets, and gated shifters
Laz - Friday, 8 July, 2011, at 1:08:47 pm
Although you've made a good point concerning valet parking, if they're overrevving the engine, I think shifting difficulty only serves to exacerbate a bigger issue. Consider the all too frequent stories we hear of cars getting wrecked by misbehaving parking valets. I can't recall dealing with a gated shifter, let alone that of a Ferrari, but most any article I've read implies the driver wasn't very happy with them.

Re: Overrevving, valets, and gated shifters
patrick - Friday, 8 July, 2011, at 1:29:48 pm
I'm just speaking for myself about miss shifts. I would miss shift that 5 gate transmission probably a lot especially while getting use to it.
As far as valets, supposedly they would not need more than 1st and 2nd to park a car. Yes some joy ride but realistically I would be more concerned about a valet screwing up my transmission grinding the gears while trying to get it in the correct gear or lugging the motor. That is why I never valet park.
Gated shifters. I've driven Ferraris with them and I don't like them. I'm slower with them too but they are more deliberate when you place the shifter in a gear slot.
Found this video while looking for something else:
Laz - Friday, 8 July, 2011, at 2:46:50 pm
Valet?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login